Wednesday 8 October 2014

NANO or not to NANO, story planning and we're nearly ready



8 October

Our insurance paper have arrived this morning for our holiday and I’ve phone them to tell them about Jan’s teggy problems, which hasn’t added to the policy costs. Now all we need to do is pack and we can be off. We’re both ready for the break and are now really looking forward to it.

One of our neighbours is moving away just before Crimble. Tony and June were the first couple we got to know when we moved in and we will miss them when the go. They are moving into their son’s house; right now he is doing it up for them so they can live there in comfort. We are of course pleased for them but as I say, we will miss them. They’re a nice couple, well-liked by everyone in the flats. We won’t be the only ones who will miss them.

There’s a quote from Ian Rankin in the current edition of Writing Magazine in which he says. ‘Have a story worth telling.’ I made a comment about it when I read it – and promptly forgot why I made the comment … opps. The comment was, ‘What about the last Rebus novel?’ It’s just occurred to me why I made the comment. Some time ago Rankin was followed around as he was planning and researching for his next novel. Yet even as he sat at his desk he didn’t really know what he was going to write. He started typing and finally the new Rebus story was there on paper. Yet he still claimed that when he began he didn’t know what is he began.

Thing is, I normally don’t know what I’m going to write when I sit down at my desk. The other day I wrote around 1000 words of a story and all I knew at the time was that I knew there would be a story in a piece of land beside where I used to walk Cindy-pup. The idea of its once a year cutting was also there in my mind as I started off. What happened is that the grass cutting idea was the trigger off the story and it all just followed on. Now I’m wondering if there is a NANO story in there; we’ll see.

So now I need to find a photo … 

Pool Bank Street gardens and playing field, where my new story starts.

Today’s funny …

Brian’s stress level was at unsurpassed levels. His wife Maggie was in labor and Brian was sure it was time to head to the hospital. Breathing heavily, Brian grabbed the phone and called the doctor. “MY WIFE, SHE’S READY, SHOULD WE COME?” The doctor tried to relax the poor fellow, “just try to relax, now tell me how much time elapses between the contractions?” “SHIRLEY!” Brian screamed on the top of his lungs, “HOW MUCH TIME IN BETWEEN THE CONTRACTIONS? TEN MINUTES? OK, TEN MINUTES IN BETWEEN!” “And is this her first child?” Questioned the doctor. “NO YOU STUPID NITWIT, THIS IS HER HUSBAND!”

No comments:

Post a Comment