Wednesday 1 October 2014

On telly last night, still births and costs of kids



1 October

Last evening we sat and watched Monday’s Panorama­. The issue being dealt with was the high number of still births here in the UK. It seems the UK is 34th in a list of 35 nations when it comes to still birth numbers. That really is, or should be a matter of concern for us all. And yet there does seem to be way of reducing it and to do so at very little cost, at least to begin with that is. It involves no invasive procedures and no medication being taken. So what is the problem?

A few hospital have used the methods explained and have reduced the figures by up to fifty%. So what aren’t the other following this lead? The NHS PTB claim they want more evidence before the accept it and make it a nation issue or method. I can see both sides here.

Mothers across the country want to deliver a happy and heathy baby and will claim that this new method of detection should be rolled out across the UK. However, the NHS is being slow and cautious when it introduces new methods; but why? Perhaps if we think back to the massive problem caused by thalidomide we can perhaps see some reason for their caution. But this new method only uses a tape measure and a scan, there is no risk to the mother in that is there?

Perhaps another reason is the cost involved. Is it the costs involved? According to this BBC story, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21120593, 668,120 births took place in according to figures released in 2011. So this new procedure might not cost much per patient, multiplying it by that figure would be a rather high cost; and don’t forget that the NHS is over spending as it is. There is another cost though, this one a long term cost.

Now that is strange … I’ve tried looking for the still birth rates for the UK and for some reason it’s not available. There’s been an error in it somewhere, but has there, or they trying to hide something. The long term costs involved in raising a child is huge and the UK tax payer helps out with Child Benefit. That works out to the tune of £17,056 for the first child and £11,272 for each additional child. Each still birth is therefore will be a significant saving when you add in free prescriptions, eye and oral care for 16 years+. Then add in free education up to age 16. The bill is rising isn’t it? And it doesn’t cover care in old age.

Yes, I know, I’m a cynic; but with such an issue as still birth rates can we afford to be anything else. The possible savings per still birth could well be a factor in deciding whether to adopt the new method of prevention.

So it’s time for a photo … 

My collection of empty malt bottles. There should be a few more on there but Tom used to have them and they are now lost. Oh yes … there’s an Ardmore bottle to go up there in a few weeks.

And from the Sage … an oldie but goody …

When U Black, U Black
When I was born, I was BLACK,
When I grew up, I was BLACK,
When I went in the sun, I stayed BLACK,
When I got cold, I was BLACK,
When I was scared, I was BLACK,
When I was sick, I was BLACK,
And when I die, I'll still be BLACK.
NOW, You 'white' folks . . .
When you're born, you're PINK,
When you grow-up, you're WHITE,
When you go in the sun, you get RED,
When you're cold, you turn BLUE,
When you're scared, you're YELLOW,
When you get sick, you're GREEN
When you bruise, you turn PURPLE,
And when you die, you look GREY.

So why y'all be callin' us COLOURED Folks?       

No comments:

Post a Comment