Sunday 26 October 2014

Pain easesing, the power of photography and the great outs doors



26 October

This morning is a good morning for me. Right now I am moving about with very little, if any pain in back. I confess that I am mightily pleased by that. Jan has made the obvious suggestion that I had already decided on, this is to keep on taking the pain killers for a few more days yet. Actually though, I’m using the same pain killers as I was before I had the fall. A suggestion form a lady we met on holiday was that she always take a roll of that non-slip matting that is fairly cheap in the UK, to try to prevent what happened to me. A good idea that is, one which we can all take up methinks.

Finally I have finished editing all my Mallorca photos. I suppose there’s about a hundred on my Flickr site now https://www.flickr.com/photos/15764683@N00/, the URL is you want to have a look. Yesterday my copy of the new edition of AP arrived and I’ve just sat and read it. One of my favourite photographers/photo-writers is Roger Hicks, and he has a weekly column where he discusses the merits, or lack thereof, of photos from various photographers.

This week’s offering is on ‘Detail I95 (Nick’s Pizza) by Zoe Strauss. The image is just of green walls where they meet the ceiling. Hicks like this one and explains why and perhaps the things of Strauss. If I had seen that scene I’m more than likely to have had a go at it myself, it’s just the sort of thing I like to shoot. Things like this … 

It’s the seat of a bus we were on while we were away. It’s the colours and patterns attract me to it. Here’s another on the same theme but totally different pattern type … 

A display of ladies scarfs. Or this one … 

and display of ‘crocs’. (All shot with my Sony A77 and Tamron 18-270 lens)

Of course I do the normal touristy shots too, as you might have seen looking through my photo-page, but it does make me wonder why I take so many photos. I suppose it’s mainly because I’m still in love with the idea of pointing a black box at something and walking away with a little of the essence of that place/person/object. There’s nothing I can think of that beats the magic of light falling on a film or light sensor; at least, I don’t think so. But of course, being in the great outdoors is always good for me, even if I have to use a mobility scooter to get around most of the time.

Another subject I like is street candids, so for today’s photo is this one … 

On the beach area in Ca’n Pickafort, there were around eight or nine of the guys walking up and down trying to sell Rayban shades and Rolex watches. We’re not so daft as to fall for this, but you know what; most other folks weren’t either. I didn’t see these guys make even one sale. But I tell you what, they were a real pain the back side!

And guess what? The Sage has spoken again …

How do you tell the difference between an English Police Officer, a Canadian Police Officer, an American Police Officer and a Scottish Police Officer?
 QUESTION: You're on duty by yourself (don't ask why, you just are, and your
 Sergeant hates you) walking on a deserted street late at night.
 Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes
 with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife and lunges at you.
 You are carrying your truncheon and are an expert in using it. However, you
 have only a split second to react before he reaches you. What do you do?
 ANSWER:
 English Police Officer:
 Firstly, the Officer must consider the man's human rights.
 1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?
 2) Has he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?
 3) Is this really a knife or a ceremonial dagger?
 4) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
 5) Am I dressed provocatively?
 6) Could I run away?
 7) Could I possibly swing my truncheon and knock the knife out of his hand?
 8) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong-doings?
 9) Why am I carrying a truncheon anyway and what kind of message does this
 send to society?
 10) Does he definitely want to kill me or would he be content just to wound
 me?
 11) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and
 kill me?
 12) If I raise my truncheon and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if
 he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself?
 13) If I hurt him and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the
 opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my
 family home?
 Canadian Police Officer:
 BANG !
 American Police Officer:
 BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
 BANG !
 'Click'...Reload...
 BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG ! BANG !
 BANG !
 Glasgow Police Officer:
 "Haw, Jimmie.. Drop the knife, noo, unless you want it stuck where the sun dinna shine!"
       


No comments:

Post a Comment