Wednesday 22 October 2014

A week away, good time even with problems and the impoatance of good holiday insurance



22 October

We are back home in Dorktown after a mixed week in Can Pickafort. First off let me say that we did enjoy our week away but there was a number of problems during our stay at the Club Tonga Hotel; and here’s the first one … 

You were only allowed these two mono-cup sized drinks at any one time, even with soft drinks; these two were diet cokes I snapped at on Monday afternoon.   

And related to that is this … 

The queue at the bar. During the day they only had one person working the bar, hence the long queues. To make it worse, if there’s two of you, then you both had to queue, either that or one of us having to get up quite often. Once the bar and restaurant closed at midnight, now drinks were available anywhere in the hotel, and, even water – the tap water was bloody awful! One family Jan met just after midnight on Sunday had just arrived and were desperate for a drink but none were available. Jan took one of the girls to our room and gave them a large bottle of water we had spare.   

Food come next; what I had was fine (apart for the risotto I tried which I didn’t like at all). The problem for me with the food was that the plates were cold, the food was only lukewarm most of the time. Place lukewarm food on a cold plate, it gets cold very quickly. There’s a microwave in the dining room, but it has a sign on top saying Do Not Use. I tried to find out why and couldn’t get an answer. However, the hotel staff were very good, polite and helpful.  

So what else can I say then? The rooms were fine and they moved us into a room with a shower instead of bath when we asked because neither of can get into or out of a bath. The nightly entertainment was brilliant and we both enjoyed it. The Walt Disney night was the best one because they got some of the kids staying in the hotel to get up on the stage and join in; they loved it and got a medal and a certificate for doing so. BUT … Jan did a naughty again! She told them that it was my birthday on Thursday and I ended up, up on stage by myself along with the group leader. I was more than a little embarrassed … ah well … … …

Then on Sunday night I went and spoiled it all together by falling as I got out the shower, and giving me a night in Muro Hospital. The worry was that I may have caused a fracture somewhere. As it was I hadn’t, otherwise we wouldn’t be back now. They put me on intravenous paracetamol, and that stuff is brilliant. I had three loads of that and was eventually discharged around 3.30pm I think. We did meet a TV star though; one of the interpreters at the hospital is on telly in Sun, Sean and A&E. So maybe it was worth it eh; NOT!!!

The worst effect of all this was, drinks, food and me hospital, was on Jan. She had so little to eat and during she has lost 14lb in weight and her stress levels have gone through the roof. Now we need to get her back on track with her meds and getting her hydrated and some food into her. We started that yesterday when we got home but I think we made a mistake in her having a pint of milk at one time. She was very sick after that and started vomiting just after finishing her milk, and she didn’t know it was coming until it up and out of her. What, with Jan feeling weak and light headed and me in pain when get up and sit down, we’re a clever pair between us.

Before we left I mention on here that I thought £184 for our holiday insurance was a lot. Well, after my night in hospital and the way that the insurance worked to make our return here as smooth as they could, it was well worth it. It also shows just important good insurance cover is and how important it is to tell the company everything you can to get the cover you need.      

OK, so we had problems, but with temperatures in 30s every day and the trips we did make, we still had a nice week away. So for today’s photo then … 

The water feature in the hotel lobby.

Funny time … I could just say, ‘Ron and Jan went away for week,’ but instead here’s this …

Little Bob went with his mom to church every Sunday. One morning in the middle of the service Bob complained that he was feeling a bit queasy and was afraid he was going to puke. “No problem dear,” whispered his Mom in his ear, “just head on over to the bathroom on the other side of the Church, and take care of it there.” Thirty seconds later Bob came back. “Did you go to the bathroom?” question his Mom. “No need” responded Bob. “Right outside the door was a big box with a sign next to it ‘for the sick’, so I just did it in there!”

No comments:

Post a Comment