Friday 21 October 2011

Poundland on the move!

21 October 2011

There's trouble at' mill.  The folks of Dorktown are not happy about yet more wasted dosh by the council.  When Woollies went bust and left the town they behind them a very large town centre location.  It remained empty for quite some time.  Suddenly work was seen to be start in the store and the council spent £2.8 million renovating the site.  After that T J Hughes moved in ...and moved out just 10 months later.  Now Poundland is about to move from their Abbey Street site to the prime Queens Road site.  But that is then going to leave the Abbey Street site closed down.  Nothing is actually gained by it!  Who will not take on the newly vacated site?  The Tribune Twitter site has received and number of idea and an even greater number of sighs of relief that the Queens Road site will not become yet another charity shop or God forbid another bookies.  Talking of which ...

We are supposed to be in the middle of a recession and not supposed to a lot of dosh about.  But have you noticed just how many people still find enough to have a go on the gee-gee's, or footie, or wherever they can get a bet on?  Pubs are closing across the country but there are others which just seem to go on and on making dosh hand over fist.  There's money about for the things we want but not to pay the bills or buy food it seems!

And so we come to yet another weekend.  Tomorrow is market day and we are hoping to get down into town to do bit of shopping of folks going about their shopping.  It's called 'candid photography' if you didn't know and it's one of my favourite photo subjects.  It's so natural and you get some really good expressions on some people's faces.  Have a look at this one I got outside a pub in Manchester city centre.  The group were all having a good laugh and the suddenly they all went very quite just as I snapped this ...

... I called it, "What did he just say?"  

My photostream can be found at ... 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15764683@N00/

The weather today is bright and dry but I'll be staying in home cos I have so much to do and I'm trying to catch up with it all.  I'm proof reading House of Pain, my second novel; I have to get back to do some work on Happyman; I have a creative writing course to get with; I've loads of magazine reading to catch up on;  and then of course there are the day to day chore of being a carer to my wife Jan and feeding my own face at the same time.  They say that time flies when you're having - but it also flies when you're so busy you can't take five minutes to breath. 

I once had a poster beside my desk which had a picture of a man sitting at a desk and the words ...

God put me on this world to do a certain set of tasks - right now I'm so far behind I'll never die!    

2 comments:

  1. An interesting collection of expression. The blonde lady on the right looks a bit like Helen Mirren.

    I wandered here from another writer's site.
    Harry Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Harry. No idea who she was though.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete