Tuesday 6 September 2011

And I still haven't done me photos ...

6 September 20011

The reason for that is that yesterday afternoon we went out shopping and swung around to a second had furniture place here in Dorktown.  It's called 2nd Chance and it's really a charity run thing.  Anyway, as we walked around looking for a chair for me to sit at my desk on for writing and so on, I found another computer desk exactly like the old one I had which we let our son have 3 years ago.  So we bought that as well as a chair.  Then just as we were about to leave I noticed a part set of books.  

Years ago there was there was a 'book club' type distributor called Heron Books and I used to buy quite a few of their books.  The one set I would have loved to collected the whole lot of was the Dennis Wheatly set.  There on the shelf in front of me was 25 of the set ... for £4 the lot!  Now they are sat on my book shelf.  So most of last night and this afternoon so far I've been trawling through eBay looking for the rest of them.  So far I have the 25 now but there's about 30 more to collect.   There's an interesting website you might be interested in ...  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/bob-shaw/   From there you can look up any author you wish.  I looked on there for Dennis Wheatly and it comes up with 83 titles.  Strange that cos I thought I had read but two of his books years ago.  But even when I removed the anthologies he had edited out of it I still found around 10 books I didn't know about.  Enough of Mr Wheatly and why I haven't done me photos!

Today's weather isn't all that great.  It's dark, damp, windy and cold - so we're staying today.  Our two new budgies are quiet for now.  They only liven up when the telly is on.  They go quite when the adds come on.  But there again, we usually mute the telly then anyway.  

This morning we sat and watched the two 9/11 programmes on catch-up the para-medics and fire fighters who attended and died on that day.  I remember it well too.  I always sit and watch the 1'o'clock on BBC1 and I remember sitting in shock watching the thing happen.  A terrible day for New York indeed.  But the heroism and selfless devotion to duty shown by all who attended to the people around them shows America at its very best.   

No comments:

Post a Comment