Thursday 8 August 2013

They're nearly gone, low word count and the NHS



8 August 2013

Jan answered the phone this morning to hear the latest on the Trish/Keith saga; they are due to fly out sometime this evening.  I'm not sure how they will manage out there you know.  Keith will, he adapts quite well but Trish has a number of health concerns that are going to cost her a fortune to treat in Thailand.  Add in her alcoholism - remember, once an alkie, always an alkie - and it points to a serious breakdown I think.  Ah well ... ... ...

Yesterday after noon I sat down and began writing.  Around 20 minutes later I stopped dead in my tracks again - after only around 200 words.  I just couldn't see where I was going with it.  As I lay in bed I had an idea and made a note of it, so later I shall have another go and see if it can be worked out the way I thought.  If it can then I shall run with it; if not, then I shall have to climb the brick wall or find another way around it.

The NHS is well on its way to being privatised!  Already at the Hussy the eye clinic is being run by a private company but now it's expected that pretty soon the whole of the hospital will be run by a private company. The chief executive up there has admitted that the Hussy could be a trial and blue print for the rest of the NHS.  Are you upset by it?  Are you angry over it?  If so then why did some of you vote for a Tory led government?  There's an old saying folks, "You get what you pay for!"  In politics it read as, "You get what you vote for!" 

Also in the News this morning is a front page photo of a young girl sat in front of target while a young boy aims a bow and arrow at her.  There's a number of kids and one adult standing behind them with big grins on their faces.  Maybe they are really hoping that the girl will be hit by the arrow, albeit one with a sucker on the front end, not a point.  But I'm not impressed.  I get the feeling that this is at best a poor idea to promote to kids; at worst it could lead one of them to take it further and use a real bow and arrow.  There's already been cases here in Dorktown where various birds have been shot with cross bows.  Are we perhaps in danger of glamorising archery with this sort of trick?  Archery is a good sport when in fully controlled circumstance.  In a park with loads of kids about is hardly controlled to my mind!

We currently live about two miles from the A5.  Just across the A5 and into Woolybackland, there's Mallory Park, a motor racing circuit.  Residents from a near-by village, Kirkby Mallory are taking legal action against the Park for the alleged breaking the 1985 Noise Abatement Notice.  I don't see what the problem is, I really don't.  Mallory Park is a motor racing circuit, it will cause noise and that can't be helped.  The Park management are locked into a contract that has four years to run and no matter what the courts decided it could cost them a lot of dosh if they get closed down.  I wonder how much dosh the park brings into Kirkby Mallory, how many villagers actually owe part or all of their employment to the Park? 

And so time for a photo ... 

part of Darlington indoor market.

And today's funny is another one that you can tell in church ...
  
A little girl, dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class. As she ran she prayed, 'Dear Lord, please don't let me be late! Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!'
While she was running and praying, she tripped on a curb and fell, getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress.
She got up, brushed herself off, and started running again! As she ran she once again began to pray, 'Dear Lord, please don't let me be late...But please
don't shove me either!'           

No comments:

Post a Comment