Saturday 24 August 2013

Drafts, the OU and volcanos



24 August 2013

I wonder how many drafts of their work writers actually go through.  Somewhere I read an article where a writer says he does six drafts before he lets anyone see the work.  he then goes on to say that at least ten drafts will be done before he is satisfied with it.  This morning I've just an interview with Ruth Rendell who manages to publish a book every year.  I can't imagine her going through so many drafts though! 

Thinking back to my OU days, all my assignments went through two drafts.  The first one was in pencil, double spaced on an A4 wide lined pad.  I've read through it and make changes and the type it up making even more changes.  And that would be my last attempt.  By then I would be sick of it and want rid of it to the tutor who would mark and return it.

I keep thinking about doing my writing in the same way, but last time I did a lot of writing by hand I ended up with a strained wrist and elbow; and I don't fancy going through that yet again thank you very much!  So now I sit and try to decide and in the process nothing at all get written.  Oh dear ... ... ...

I am fascinated by volcanoes and I read most news paper and magazine articles I come across about them.  These days of course there is little loss of life when a volcano does blow it's top, thankfully.  In days of old it was a different story though.  On this day in 79AD Vesuvius violently blow its top killing 2,000 people and burying Pompeii and Herculaneum.  But at the same time it preserved the cities in time for later folks to study and learn from.

I don't have any volcano photos to offer - my Domestic Supervisor is not interested in going to see one for some reason I can't fathom (;-))) ) so I shall have to post something else ... 

a greater black backed gull.  At least they could fly out of the way of a volcano!      

Oh what fun ...

I have a little Satnav
It sits there in my car
A Satnav is a driver's friend
It tells you where you are

I have a little Satnav
I've had it all my life
It's better than the normal ones
My Satnav is my wife
It gives me full instructions
Especially how to drive
"It's thirty miles an hour", it says
"You're doing thirty five"

It tells me when to stop and start
And when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake

It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively
Just when to intervene

It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear
And taking this into account
It specifies my gear.

It fills me up with counselling
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it
And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things
And keeps me warm in bed!

Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I only wish that now and then
I could turn the bugger off.

No comments:

Post a Comment