Saturday 16 February 2013

Sky Blues, really sad and a chance meeting



16 February 2013

Years ago, way before I joined the Army I used to be a Coventry City supporter.  Even though I no longer am a supporter as such I still keep an eye on how they are doing every week.  The news from the Ricoh Arena these last few days is not good!  The club owners are a company called Sisu - no, nor me, I don't have clue what they are either.  Whatever, having bought the club and investing a fair amount of money in the process I fail to see why they haven't continued to invest there in an attempt to try to protect their initial investment.  Now they are refusing to pay the rent they owe for the football ground part of the Ricoh.  I get the impression that Sisu actually want the Sky Blues to fail - buy why would they want that?  It should make all footy fans stop and think this morning!

An elderly couple who had been married for 68 years have died within hours of each at the Walsgrave Hospital.  Rita died first and the family say they hadn't told Louis but that he seemed to know anyway.  Such sad end to such a long marriage.  Of course we all die in the end but for both to go like this is a real tragedy. 

Last night I sat in the Anker and got talking to a few of the locals while I was proof reading Web of Hate.  The three couples each took one of my cards and I'm as ever hopeful that a few sales of my books might of it.  But what I remember more than that is the look of awe and excitement on their faces that they were sitting and speaking to a published writer.  One of them said something about never having spoken to a famous person before.  ME!  Famous - hardly!  But if it brightened their night, well, so be it, I won't complain.

Ethnic cleansing has been happening a lot over the years; Cambodia, The Balkans, Ruanda and of course WW2.  But did you know that during the Spanish Inquisition the whole population of the Netherlands was condemned to death for heresy?  That happened on this day in 1568.  Of course it didn't happen but as they say, "there's nothing new."  I just wish who 'they' are.

Bright sun shine here in Dorktown today, I feel a photo shoot coming on down in the market.  For now then, here's today's offering ... 

another market day shot.

And I offer this for today's funny ...

I saw my friend in town today, he only has one arm
I said "Where are you going"
He said "To change a light bulb"
I said "Erm, won't that be a bit difficult"
He said "Nah, I have the receipt"               

No comments:

Post a Comment