Saturday 23 February 2013

A safe baby, Terry, and to the tradition of repeats



23 February 2013

Social Services are up to their old tricks again.  They went to court and got an order to remove a baby from its mum and did so when the boy was only one hour old.  Normally I would be screaming from the roof tops against such actions.  I have little regard for social workers of any persuasion.  However, having read the front page story in today's local Telegraph I actually agree with their actions.  The mum's boyfriend has a history of violence and other criminal offending and had threatened to raise an army of 200 skinheads if the baby was taken into care.  In reality Social Services didn't have a lot of choice here did they.

Terry was one of my cousins.  He died a few years ago while on holiday in the States.  He was a tall man with broad shoulders and was one of those lucky beggars who would pull on an old sack and make it look smart and fashionable.  Anyway, I was reading Writing Mag in bed last night and it struck me that Terry would be a good person to base my next novel on.  Mind you, when it's done he wouldn't be amused at how I will have portrayed him ;-)))

We are not going back all that long for today's bit of history.  When I read it today it caused me to look at today's telly pages and I counted the number of repeats being shown today on the four BBC channels; there's 14 of them!  But repeats are nothing new.  The very first regular British broadcast began on this day in 1920 - and was repeated later the same day!  The BEEB has kept up the tradition properly ;-)))

I was rather impressed with building ... 

I found in London last Sunday.  Not all modern architecture is crap.

Another shorty today ...

I went to the local video shop and I said, 'Can I borrow Batman Forever?' He said, 'No, you'll have to bring it back tomorrow'          

No comments:

Post a Comment