Tuesday 23 October 2012

Drizzle, elections and gold leaf



23 October 2012

So today we have a cloudy, damp, deary day with a fine drizzle that you can't see but can feel as it hits you.  It's the sort of rain that I dislike intensely because it's neither one thing or another.  I'm pleased I have nothing to go out for.  Jan however, has taken our son to Coventry to view a flat he has been offered.  Now she has to take him there again tomorrow so he can sign for it.  That puts he trip to see her sister Trish off for a day.  I hope he appreciates it!

One of our neighbours told me last week that our local pub The Anchor was due to open last weekend.  I had thought that it might not open again actually seeing as it seemed to take so long for anyone to take it on.  Well, I was wrong!  There is now a banner over part of the front boundary wall saying "Under New Management", on it.  I think there will be more than a few locals who will be pleased to see it open again.  Actually, it's quite a nice pub really and I hope the new manager is able to make a go of it there.

A few days ago I mentioned the fall out over the working group of the so-called Borough Plan run by the Council.  Today's News has a front page story of the Tory members of group resigning from the group due to skulduggery by the controlling Labour group.  The Labour group are blaming the Tory's over it claiming that the Tories are trying to misdirect the people of Dorktown from the polices of the current Tory lead government.  They are all the same really, no matter what party they represent.  All the arguments do is to put people off them all.  The overall result is low turnout at elections.  Then they sit and wring their hands asking why so few bothered to vote.  As per normal none of them see themselves to blame for it.  And talking of elections ...

Are you planning on voting on the upcoming police commissioner election?  Well, for the first time in such a long time I can't remember when it last happened, but I won't be voting in this one.  The idea that so much power and authority is centred in the hands of just one person in a local area seems to be very wrong.  The office may well become so corrupted that it will become it will become impossible to work.  I'm talking of financial corruption here, although that is always a possibility when dealing with public funds, but political corruption.  I can see the party line taking precedence over the local issues.  Surely we get enough of that crap now as it is.  The other reason I don't agree with it is that it is adding another layer of bureaucracy which will ultimately have to be paid for by the council tax payer or by general taxation.

I have at last sorted out a few shots from Sunday.  Here's one I got on my Nikon 5100 ... 

We saw the tree on our way to Cley so I made sure I had the Nikon ready for when we got to it. 

And now for a funny ...

Fred and Mary get married but can't afford a honeymoon, so they go back to mom and dads for the night.
In the morning, little Johnny gets up and has his breakfast. As he is going out of the door to go to school, he asks his mom if Fred and Mary are up yet. She replies, "No". Johnny asks, "Do you know what I think?" His mom replies, "Never mind what you think! Just go to school."
Johnny comes home for lunch and asks his mom, "Is Fred and Mary up yet?" She replies, "No." Johnny says, "Do you know what I think?" His mom replies, "Never mind what you think! Eat your lunch and go back to school."
After school, he comes home and asks, "Is Fred and Mary up yet?" His mom says, "No." Johnny asks, "Do you know what I think?" His mom replies, "OK! What do you think?"
He says, "Well, last night Fred came in for the Vaseline and I think I gave him my airplane glue."   

No comments:

Post a Comment