Monday 10 March 2014

Winngs, pubs and fighting



10 March

A local punter on the hosses was up for £1 million win last Saturday. All he needed to do was to pick the right hoss in the 2.05 race and he was in. His choice came in fourth so he missed out on the millions quid. He's not done bad though with nearly half a million in winnings. I would turn me nose up at it anyway. The most I've ever won on the racing was £18. That was in the 60/70s when Highland Wedding won the Grand National. Actually, that was my first ever bet - and my last ever bet too! So I actually beat the bookies ;-)))

There are three pubs on Arbury Road in Stockingford, The Royal Oak, The Hearty Good Fellow and the Prince of Wales. At one time we used to call into the Oak fairly often. It's a nice pub serving a decent pint of real ale. The Oddies is OK but I've never really felt all that comfortable in there. As for Prince of Wales ... well, I've been in there just once and was not at all impressed! The tables were sticky, the seating stank, the carpet was think with I don't know what.

Since we return to Dorktown from Atherton there have been a number of serious incidents in and around the pub. In such incident someone was killed. Last week there was a large fight and another man has been hospitalised during it. The result is that a good part of Arbury Road was closed to all traffic for a couple of days. The congestion getting in to town is bad most times, but with one of the main artery routes closed it must have been horrendous.  

This pub is run by a manager being employed by one of the larger pub chain companies. So I'm wondering just how many incidents will it take for that company to pull the pull the plug on the place? The main hope then of course is that the trouble makers don't migrate to the two pubs up Arbury Road or the couple of hundred yards down the road to the White Lion on Croft Road.

Do you find it strange that trouble always seems to strike at just one location? We lived in Bracebridge Street and used to use a pub called The Crew on Queens Road. It's a rock bar with very loud rock music playing. And considering the amount of people they have in there, they have very little trouble there. One taxi driver was telling us that they the least trouble at The Crew than any other pub in the town centre.

I just don't understand it! When I used to get drunk, and I got very drunk, all I wanted to do was to go to sleep. Getting stroppy was the last thing on my mind. Today however, getting drunks and fighting seems to be one aim of most of the youngsters now. The damaged they cause, the finical cost to the venues and the NHS are huge. Perhaps it's time to start making the offenders pay the true costs involved. As for me, I'll stick to me couple of pints every now and then in Anker.

The cause of so much trouble within the world today ...



And funny time ...

JOINING NUDIST COLONY!
Must sell, washer and dryer £100.             

No comments:

Post a Comment