Wednesday 12 March 2014

Lazy day, reading, and charity shops



12 March

Yesterday was a really lazy day. We sat and watched telly most of it and when Jan went out to her house group thingy I sat and watched Philosophers' Stone. I think I've said before that when I first began to read the book, I gave up very quickly because the story line so obvious to me. Since then I have watched all the films and read all the books and I've really enjoyed them all. So first impressions can be wrong eh?

Another book I gave up on quite quickly was Dennis Wheatly's The Devil Rides Out. In that case though it was because it was the first book of that genre I had ever read; and to be honest, it frighten the living days day lights out me. Remember though, I was only just 16 when I read it. Unlike today's youngsters where there seems to be loads of specially written books for them, in 1964/5, there wasn't. Add in the easy access to horror films on telly and DVD it's easy to understand why today's kids are not so squeamish as I was.

We have been doing a sort out of our clothing. Mine is finished with and I've filled three large black bin bags with stuff I no longer use. The amount of room in my wardrobe now is amazing. Jan is still doing hers and I expect that she too will have a lot more room after finishing it. It will all go in the car and taken to the county air ambulance shop in town tomorrow.

When we first moved in here we gave loads of stuff to a couple over the road who took it to a animal charity over in Barwell. We offered to take it straight to the shop but they wouldn't hear of it. It took me a wee bit for the penny to finally drop; he may well be claiming the tax relief on everything he takes over there. We would do the same but my army pension is not high enough for me to pay any tax on it. Never mind ... ... ...

So, photo time ... 

A chopper copper during the London Marathon a few years ago.

And the other day the Sage spoke more words of wisdom ...

 A building inspector was sent onto a large development site to investigate why there were so many deaths amongst the workers.
Even as he arrived on site, a worker hurtled down to earth from a very high crane. His body smashed to pieces.
He ran into the site office and demanded to know what was causing all this.
The site manager gave a big sigh and yelled into the back office


" Grandad are you still telling the Paddies that you flew in Wellingtons in the Second World War?"       

No comments:

Post a Comment