Sunday 9 March 2014

B&W, errors and story lines



9 March

Jan is having a few problems with her lappy right now. Error messages keep cropping up saying she was out of memory. So she deleted a lot of the games she was no longer playing because they all opened up at start up. Now she's found that her Norton Av is saying it's out of date and needs renewing. Thing is, mine still has two months to go yet and we both used the same three machine licence on the same day. I've had a look at her lappy but can't find where she has hidden it.

I've often wondered where writers get their story ideas from. So often I have read novels and short stories with horror story-lines, or perhaps really sick sex and murder scenes and I've wonder just how much of this is just imagination or is it what the writer actually really wants to do? This line of thought in doubting story line ideas, could be a dangerous one for another writer to take. Could it possibly lead to a drying up of ideas, or perhaps not writing those story lines at all, and never writing again in case you are as a possible culprit of such actions in your stories? Of course, the other side of that coin is that by writing them down on paper you are ensuring that you do not go down those dark lanes in reality. I leave that one for you to think about.

We sat and watched a movie last night that we hadn't seen before. It was called Company of Heroes. There's no A-list actors in it, well, none that I know of, but it was still a good movie for all that. The action turns around the A-bomb and Nazi attempts to build one. In the film they actually build two of them, one they test but find its faulty so they build a second one with the fault fixed. A German scientist and his daughter want to escape and take their paper with them ... and so the scene is set. Well worth watching if you get the chance.

There is something about Black & White photography that really fascinates me, and always has. When I used 35mm film it was nearly always B&W I used. Anyway, my A77 has a feature that allows you to take B&W images, and so the other day I used it. Using the screen to play them back, there all they were in B&W. But when I loaded them into Elements 11 they were in colour. That was a disappointment cos now I had to convert them. Anyway, here's the final result of one such image ...



And I offer the following funny ...

TEACHER: George Washington not only chopped down his father's cherry tree, but also admitted it. Now, Louie, do you know why his father didn't punish him?
LOUIS: Because George still had the axe in his hand......         

No comments:

Post a Comment