Thursday 9 May 2013

Time flows on, the Hussy and blood donors



9 May 2013

Lying in bed last night it dawned on me that we have been in our flat for almost 12 months.  I actually made my bids on four properties on the Friday before the May Bank Holiday and then signed the tenancy agreement just three days later.  So much has happened since then that the time seems to have flown by.  For the rest of this month we will be just as busy as the last 12 months have been too.  At sometime I wouldn't mind a quiet month ;-)))

I can't make out what is happening up at the Hussy.  At the moment there is a fully functioning children's ward.  OK, fine.  But soon it will be downgraded to become an assessment centre with all ongoing treatment taking place at the Walsgrave in Coventry.  So why has the hospital seen a need to hire eight 'calibre' consultants?  Surely the current staff could be doing that job?  I suppose that some of the current staff may be moving to the Walsgrave when the move takes place but surely not all of them will be moving there.  Dorktowners don't have a lot of say in these things though.  Many protests have been held but still the closing of full time paediatric services will close at Hussy.  The management make up their minds and that's the end of it as far as they are concerned. 

Keeping to the health care thread ... five local people have been given award for their long time as blood donors.  Four of them have given 75 units of blood while the fifth has given 100.  These folk are the unsung heroes of the NHS in my mind.  It's something that both Jan and I would have loved to have done but we are both barred from doing so.  Jan had jaundice when she was child and I have an ongoing heart/high blood pressure condition that prevents me from doing so.  We both carry organ donor cards but I'm wondering if Jan's previous jaundice would prevent her organs being used.  Not that we will know of course ;-)))

That's it; Jan's off to the dentist and I'm staying on ready for Mr Virgin to arrive and install our new TIVO box.  Apparently we get a larger hard drive to record programmes we may miss other otherwise and an increase in our broadband speed from 20 to 60 megabytes.  The speed test I do an a regular basis shows an upload speed just shy of 20mgb and a download of just shy of 2mgb.  If these two speeds increase as much as they claim, I shall be very happy.

So, photo time ... 

a couple with their two gorgeous dogs.  We met them last week at Cotswold WP.

And today's funny ...  

Some people say I'm crazy because I talk to my food....... My sauces tell me otherwise.        

No comments:

Post a Comment