Tuesday 14 May 2013

Road safety, planning and day out on Sunday



14 May 2013

There was an item on BBC Midlands Today about the safety of workers at road works, especially on motorways.  To help with this someone has come up with using an alarm that fits on the cones they use.  If one or more gets moved or knocked over the alarm sounds hundreds of metres away giving the works chance to get out of the way.  I think it's a great idea; anything that helps saves lives has to be good.  There could be a down side though ... a cone gets knocked, the alarm sounds, the workers move out of the way and nothing happens.  How many times will that happen before the workers begin to ignore the alarms?  How long will the contractors put up with lost working hours because of them and decide they are not working for them?

The local SWORD group, or the group who are trying to stop the building of houses on Weddington Fields is meeting on Thursday evening at the local social club.  I think I shall go along and see what's going on.  The company who bought the site have still to try to sell it off the builders.  Maybe there might be an answer as to why.  It could well be that the builders have heard of the flooding report from years ago that was released a few months ago, have decided that they are not going buy the land.  Hallam would then be left with worthless land on their hands ... couldn't have happened to a better company.        
There's another issue I would like to raise though.  Our one time mayor was taken to task because he somehow managed to get elected to the county council while serving as a town councillor.  OK, so why is the green party councillor who beat the Tory group leader at WCC allowed to stand for county elections when he already is a town councillor?  I won't raise it during the meeting itself but I will speak to a few folks while I'm there, including I hope the ex-mayor in question.

Jan is busy again today.  She's attending a funeral of someone she knew this afternoon and it's her normal Tuesday night bible study as well.  I'm thinking of getting her to drop me off at the Felix Holt in town as she goes out.  She can then pick me again on her way home.  I've not had a night out for ages.  I've not had a day out by mesen for ages either; so weather permitting I shall go to London on Sunday for a large camera fair called Photographica.  I had hoped to go the last two years and haven't made it; maybe third time lucky eh ;-)))   

So, photo time ... 

It's called The Round House and it's across the road from the pub that I bought loads of chocolate from in Breedon.

And today's funny ... 

Man calls 999 and says "I think my wife is dead." The operator says ” how do you know”? He says "The sex is the same but the ironing is building up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment