Friday 2 December 2016

On book series


2 December


My fears over diabetic clinic yesterday were groundless and I was in and out very quickly indeed. All my blood test results were slap bang in the middle of the normal range, BP was 114/67, and I even lost another 1.5 kilos. I shall be back in June/July next year now. The only thing she questioned was why I hadn’t received the blood test papers that had been sent out. However, that is down to Royal Fail, and no-body else.


Game of Thrones series six; we bought the DVD set sometime last week but because of its content we didn’t start because we had Kile with us. In any case, we were working our way through the other five series and wanted to finish those first. Last night we began the new set. How was it? Not so bad as I expected really after reading some of the critic’s comments. It starts off very dark, and by that I mean in the picture quality as well as the story line. To begin with we had thought that it might be a faulty disc or something with the telly. It wasn’t, but hey ho, that’s the first two watched.


The GoT novel writer is George R.R. Martin, seems to be dragging his heels in getting anymore volumes written. If he doesn’t want to write any more he should say so and be done with it. However, the whole series of seven books is a huge story, perhaps he’s got himself lost in the telling? I don’t know. I suppose he has his reasons, but to produce such a huge and complicated world, it would be a great shame if he didn’t continue it to its natural conclusion. No matter how that conclusion comes about, there will be disappointment, however, he will need to do so at some time.


J K Rowling seemed to bring the Harry Potter books to an end after seven books. A lot of fans are unhappy that there won’t be any more stories from the happy trio. The magical world continues though in that Rowling has published a few added stories about it. But will they any good though? That I don’t know because I haven’t read any of them and in one case, the Cursed Child, I have no intention of buying new, I’ll wait and buy it from a charity shop one day. As for the new one, Fantastic Beasts, I’ve just looked for it on Amazon and it’s only 24 pages long. I won’t be racing to buy that either!


Two writers then, two series that brought to the attention of the book-buying population. There are far too many such series to mention here, but a lot a writers have them. Stephen King for one. His main series if the Dark Tower series, six or seven stories all in a linked set-up. Even so, he has another two book set, The Shining and Doctor Sleep. In that set it’s mainly about the boy in the first one and in the second one it’s about his life in adulthood and uses his ‘shine’ to stop a group of travellers causing mischief everywhere they go.


One of the best series I ever read was the 12 volumes of the Roger Brook series penned by Denis Wheatley. Set during the Napoleonic world of war and espionage between the French and the English, Brook gets himself into all sorts of sticky situations. He also gets himself out of them all.


Are you able to think of other books series I wonder? What about Lee Childs and his Jack Reacher, or Ian Rankin’s Rebus, Peter James’ Roy Grace? And don’t forget Colin Dexter and his Inspector Morse, although I’m not convinced or interested in his series about the early Morse. Last one for now then, is Tom Clancy and his Jack Ryan series. I was left hanging high at the end of The Bear and the Dragon. It seemed to me to be left there deliberately because of the way the critics savaged his The Teeth of the Tiger. Starting with that one, Clancy began listing a second writer in his work, but how much did that second writer add to the story. Even more of a concern, how much did Clancy write? We shall never know now seeing as he died in 2013.


And that my friends is a danger for all writers of books series. We found out later did we not when other writers tried to write more James Bond books; none of them were convincing were they. As stand alone books they were probably fine, but not as follow ups to master spy.


And so to today’s photo …

Got my eye on you …

Today’s funny …


What is white, light and sugary and swings from trees?
A meringue-utan.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment