Sunday 27 March 2016

Bad backs, books, and bloody dangerous!


27 March



I haven’t really felt up to writing the blog over the last few days. Just standing making a cuppa has brought on back pain and the tiredness that comes with it. That same pain can come on even while I’m sat watching telly or reading. I’ve even had come on while lying in bed. And I can only take so many pain killers, so it really is drain.



Both Jan and me enjoy 24 Hours in A&E the Channel 4 hospital series. Actually, we like all the medical documentaries really, but can’t stand the medical dramas. Anyway … we watched on the other afternoon and saw an incident of something that really bugs me, and I can’t puzzle out why the H&E cops haven’t stopped it. That one is those damned silly wheel chairs they use in hospitals where you have to pull them instead of pushing them, and they not the easiest thing to move anyway. H&E cops are quick to jump on things like this normally, so why aren’t they sorting this one out? Is this another one where someone is going to be seriously hurt by one before they act? I hope not!  



When it comes down to it, we all have our own favourite writers, one for each genre too in some cases. Isaac Asimov for sci-fi for me, or perhaps … see what I mean? How can we pick just one writer when we like so many? On the horror front, I’ve always liked James Herbert, but there will be no more from him sadly. Stephen King is another one I like and I have no idea how many of his I have read. What I can say is that I have never tried any of Dark Tower series, until last night that is after I down loaded the first one on to me kindle, not impressed so far though.



From what I’ve read in various places, this is a series that readers either love or hate, there seems to be no middle ground with them. I’ve also found that with other books. I found a book called The Wasp Factory.  So I bought it and enjoyed it. I later found out that that it was Ian M. Banks first novel. At the same time, I also read about how bad a mauling it got from various critics. Again, it seems that it’s one of those books that you either love or hate. I loved it, and so did me old mate Bill Howe, so I’m in good company then.



Another friend of mine said she likes the Dean Koontz books. So I tried one and I really couldn’t get on with it. About two years ago I came across another of his and decided to try him again, mainly cos it was £1 methinks. It’s been sat there in my TBR pile since then and I had completely forgotten about it until I began typing this blog. So I’ve now dug out from the pile and it will be the next one read after I’ve finished Throne 5; unless of course, I forget about it again.



And so to today’s photo …

Oh how I wish … … …



Today’s funny …



Did you hear about the cannibal who joined the police force?
He wanted to grill his suspects.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment