Friday 18 March 2016

An odd pepper and is it cruel to race animals?



18 March

After all that time back in Currys, I’m still having the same problems, just a different set of them. So it’s back to the drawing board. At least it allows me to work on Word without problems, well, sort of that is. I’ve found that I was having the same problem with this lappy as I did with the last one, that is, the curser was jumping all over the shop and I had to keep an eye on it all the time. So I’ve bought a new separate keyboard and that one has now been sorted at least. Next step is to sort out the malware before I start to do anything serious on-line. Enough of that …

Yesterday I was able to get into town on my scooter for the first time this year. It was a nice day to be able to get out for a few hours. Several shopping calls were made, mainly just for me rather than for both of us. I visit to The Works and I left with another three books from their 3 for a fiver offer, so another three unknown writers for me. A nice plain black coffee at Costa went down well before I headed off to Iceland for the first time since we moved in here I think. My last call was to Asda, nowt special there is there? Well, I noticed on Facebook that they were selling a bell pepper with a stripy red/yellow colouring, and I fancied one of them. I had it last night as part of a salad. Nothing special though.

Jan has just told me that there was problem on the M6 about 90 minutes ago. It seems that three horses had got loose and were running wild on there. At one point there was an eight-mile tail back of traffic. I’m pleased we were not out that way then! But I’m not a horse lover anyway; I’m not afraid of them but I don’t actually go near them, not even with my camera. I just don’t see them as anything special and I get a bit impatient with the horsey-folk out there. Right now the Cheltenham Festival is on and we have a minor invasion of strangers just see some of the animals killed as they race around, or at least that is how see it.

But there again, I feel the same about any sport really; and yet, is hoss racing really a sport? Of course those who like it will say that it is. But to me, if it is using animals for human gain in any way, is not sport. It is animal cruelty! Sports is where humans compete between themselves. So, is motor racing a sport? To that one I am a bit of a fence sitter. I don’t see anything in it but it is popular with spectators. It is a number of riders competing against each other in a skilled activity, but I don’t see anything worthwhile in it. Anyway, that’s two pen’th on this one.              

Last night I finished my latest paperback, Keystone by Peter Lovesey. I’ve read a few of his Peter Diamond series and enjoyed them, so I went for a different style of novel, hence this one, which is set in the movie studio where the Keystone Cops movies were filmed. Very easy style of writing that I found very easy to read, it’s worth a go if you get the chance guys. Tonight it’s back to Game of Thrones 5, although I’m not really impressed with it.

And so to a photo … 

A lady in Coventry sat having a read.

And today’s funny …  

A man was attempting to ride his bicycle from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. He made it across the desert without incident, but when he reached the mountains, the steep grade wore him down. So, he decides to hitchhike.

Some time later, a car approaches and offers the cyclist a ride, but admits,
"Your bicycle won't fit in the car." So, he opens his trunk and takes out a piece of rope. Then, he ties one end of the rope to the bicycle and the other end to his bumper. "You've got a horn on your bike... If I go too fast, honk your horn and I'll slow down."

This scheme worked well for several miles, until another car zooms past. Not to be outdone, the man takes off in pursuit with the bicycle in tow.


Both cars fly through a speed zone and an trooper's radar gun clocks them traveling at 120 mph. The trooper radios ahead to another officer and says, "You've got two vehicles headed your way and they're both doing over 120 mph."

"10-4 good buddy," replies the fellow trooper.


The first trooper hesitates a moment, then adds, "And, you're not going to believe this... there's a guy following on a bicycle and he's honking to pass!"

No comments:

Post a Comment