Saturday 13 August 2011

Saturday Market

13 August 2011

Saturday is market day in Dorktown.  Last year it was voted as Britain's best street market.  OK, but it's not as good as it used to be!  There used to be stalls that sold kitchen ware and crockery; another one sold tools; Cheap Jack's was a book stall that was as cheap as its name suggests;  3 or 4 fruit and veg stalls as well as the clothing stalls; carpets and oh so much more.  Queens Road was full of stalls on both side of the road from the junction of Dugdale Street down to the corner of Coventry Street and along just one side of Bridge Street.  Abbey Street also had stalls on both sides from the junction of Harefield Road right up to the Bull.  Now there's only around 50% of stalls set up.  There's les choice I suppose but that's life I suppose.  But it has to be good to get that award last year.  And to be honest, Jan and I still like walking through there.

There's still a lot of bustle with friends meeting up and talking for ages blocking the way through.  When it comes to shoppers the main difference these days I suppose is the number of disability scooters riding around.  There's two more when Jan and I go down.  I have to admit it though, there's not a lot of tolerance of them about.  I heard one young mum pushing her kiddie in a pushchair muttering, "I hate them damn scooters!"  I was walking that day so I replied, "And I hate stroppy madams withy pushchairs!"  She wasn't best pleased to be challenged!  Anyway ... enough of that!

Street markets are great places to people watch.  I wonder how many story ideas have come from doing that?  Actually, I was going to mention one here now that concerned my cousin but I'll keep that idea for myself I think.  Have you been to Camden in London?  No?  Well, it's worth the trip.  There's markets all over the place and it's huge!  Birmingham market is worth a trip too.  There's the outdoor fruit market that sells a lot more than fruit; there the rag market, a huge shed like place with loads of stalls selling so much stuff I can't begin to list it all.  Across the way is the indoor market where there are fish mongers and butchers as well as the usual assortment of other stall holders.  There used to be a stall that sold just stationary but that's now gone sadly.  Three A4 note pads for £1.99 was good buy for those that need them.  The rest of the items there were all priced in a similar way. 

A couple of other markets worth a mention then are Leicester and Milton Keynes.  Leicester Market is open every day but Sunday, but Milton Keynes has different opening days which I don't know off hand.  I'm sure a Google search will tell you all about it.  But enough of those, back to Dorktown!

So Saturday is Market Day here.  The weather isn't bad, a slight breeze but overcast, no sun so it's a flat light day - not good for snappers.  So I think today will be a day for staying in.  I can catch up on some writing; I can do some more proofing of The Mission; I can catch up on some reading even!  Or perhaps that should I could do those items!   But Parry Hotter #5 is on later this afternoon and I want to see that.  Now there's  a point ...  
Last night we watched a DVD for the first time in I don't know how long!  We watched Solomon Kane.  If you get the chance, watch it, it's great!  

No comments:

Post a Comment