Sunday 19 June 2016

Loving food ...


June 19



Can you believe this? It’s June 19th already. Where has it gone? Part of it was when we watched, or that should be when we re-watched crap films like Left Behind and Meteor Storm, just like we did last night. Mind you, we also watched the last two of the Wallander series of programmes, and they were good. I wish now we had watched them from the start, ah well …



An interesting piece on the MSN home page this morning. Someone has started a petition to get Thursday’s referendum vote to be postponed after the death of Jo Cox. Now, call me cynical if you wish, but as the piece goes on to say, the leave campaign is ahead in the polls right, that makes me think there might be a different agenda behind this move. Daft Dave and remain followers are on the back foot right now, so why not try a trick like this one. If it’s ignored it will cause a lot of friction if the leave vote wins, and it remain vote wins there will cries of anguish because of the attempt to sway voters by this petition. As I said call me cynical if you wish but … … …



I wonder how many of you have been caught up in the latest yanky craze, that of Father’s Day. I’d never heard of it until about ten years ago, but now it comes up every year, and what for? I can imagine how my dad would have laughed at the idea, and as for his dad, well, I never met him, he died in 1945 I’ve found out just lately. But come on guys n gals, it’s just another way to pull open the wallets/purses of the gullible so they can pinch even more money in exchange for shoddy bling crap. That’s what it is all about folks, honestly.



OK, I’m over weight, and yes, it was my fault that I am like I am. I ignored all the warnings about how would affect me later in life and now I’m paying the price in Type 2 Diabetes and very high pain levels most days. I take a lot more care with what I eat these days, and not just the what, but also the amount. One of my biggest gripes these days is the odd occasion that we buy fish and chips. The fish is so big they have to use more wrapping paper for it. At the same time the amount of chips you get is enough to feed two, let alone one. Perhaps that’s why you see so many screwed chip wrappers in the streets these days.



So much waste from the food industry; then the other day I saw an ad for Morrisons who are selling a ‘tomahawk’ steak. This massive 42 ounces on the bone steak is on sale at £15 a go. Of course, this weight is uncooked weight and will also include the bone, even so, I think this one will come out at around a 2lb lump of steak. I like a good steak, as I’m sure most carnivores do, but 2lbs in one sitting? Thanks, but no thanks.



Warnings are common these days about Britain’s spreading waist lines and rise in diabetes. In an effort towards reducing this, a ‘sugar tax’ has been introduced. Will this be enough? I don’t think so, although it might have an effect on reducing dental decay in kids. The food industry needs to take a much bigger lead here. These offers of 42oz steaks will only entice some people to go for them, never mind the health consequences.



A lot is made of the waste in ‘bogoffs’, but do we really need that much of an item. Loose bread rolls come to mind; Jan likes crusty rolls and you can buy them in Asda for 25p, or five for £1. By the time we come to use the others they are no longer crusty and are a bit stale. But do we really need five of them anyway? No, we don’t, so now we only buy what we need. Another item that annoys me is those large trays of doughnuts you see in different places these days. I love them (yes I know they’re sugary), and so does Kile, but Jan is so keen. So now we only buy them when we know Kile is coming, like next weekend. The problem is that there’s 15 of them in those large trays, far too many for just a couple. What do we do if we buy a tray? Do we pig-out on them and maybe cause an upset in out digestion, or do we have a few and throw the rest? What we could with is smaller trays with fewer items in them, simple eh? It seems too hard for the food industry though.



Food: we all need it and some of us love it, perhaps a little too much. So with this mind I offer today’s photo …

One of my salad dinners I’ve had just lately.



Today’s funny …



Waiter, waiter, I can't eat this.
Why not, sir?
Because you haven't given me a knife and fork.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment