Saturday 18 June 2016

Guns and mental illness


June 18



Some of my happier days while I was in the army were when we were on the ranges doing our annual classification in various weapon systems. My last such day was the day before I handed in my kit in ready to leave the army late October 1979. This one is memorable simply because of the total waste of ammunition, and therefore waste of time in case at least. Even so I did enjoy it.



That day was SMG (sub machine-gun) shooting. This weapon was light weight and I found it was the easiest one to use. It wasn’t all that effective really in that it was a close quarter weapon. It’s range was fairly short too and never fired it over a 30ft range. Even so I had to classify with it and in so doing we all fired off at least 100 rounds of 9mm ammunition. As I said, a total waste of resources.



There was an item on Facebook yesterday afternoon relating to the latest mass shooting over in Yankyland. It showed a car and the words, ‘Killed 30 people; withdrawn.’ Next was a pill, Tylenol with the words, ‘Killed 70; was withdrawn.’ Next was a picture of a handgun with the words, ‘Killed 32,000 a year for many years; not withdrawn.’ That seemed to speak fairly clearly about the whole issue, at least to me it did.



Not only that, a supreme court judge has said that the NRA stance on the Second Amendment is a flawed understanding of the Amendment. He claimed it was brought in for law and order measures, not so that every man woman and child could have and use a gun. No, it written at a time when many parts of the America really were the frontier. And don’t forget, they were, or just had claimed independence from England and an invasion was expected. Sadly, none of this takes into account, the 20/21st Century earnings of the amount of almighty dollars. And of course we all know that nothing is allowed to get in the way of the advancement the dollar collectors.



And that sadly is whole of the pro-gun lobby story. They claim it’s not guns that kill but people. People are dying at the hands of knife wielding killers or drivers in their cars, and yet neither knives or cars have been banned from use. Well, that’s true enough I suppose; however, the killer who was behind the last mass shooting also had knives and a car, yet he chose to use a guns to do his killing.



It might be claimed that we do not have mass-shooting here in the UK; well, go tell that to the people of Dunblane and Hungerford, and more recently in the north west of England. Both of these shooters had well know mental illness issues. So how did they manage to get gun licences? That it really the biggest question that needs asking and looking at.



These events are few and far between of course, but what we do have is the shooting dead of individuals in all areas of the UK. Most of them we don’t hear about, it’s only when a high profile victim gets hit that the media really kicks up a stink. Jo Cox, a MP was gunned down and stabbed. I don’t need to retell the story. Now the killer is already claiming mental illness, with his brother coming out to say he too has mental health issues. Can you see where this going? I can, and I don’t believe on word of it! I just hope the jury sees through it too.



A Johnny Cash song has the words, ‘I shot a man in Memphis, just to watch him die …’ I wonder just how many killers, anywhere in the world, would say they kill for the same reason? Of course, that would require some sort of honesty from them, but could we really be sure that the killer is being honest or just stringing us along. I would suggest that in such cases there has to be some sort of mental illness. After all, no sane person would even think of such things … would they?



So where does leave crime writers who happily sit and write about someone out and about killing just for fun, or so it seems. In my first book The Mission, my killer runs about killing people, more to take the pee pee out of the cops and to try to show them up as fools. In a later one, Web of Hate I have a young woman killing students across the UK. The body count in that one actually huge. So what does that say about me? I’ll leave that to you to decide …



Today’s photo …

The cover for Web of Hate; the photo is one of mine.



Today’s funny …



A cowboy rides into town, goes into a bar, has a beer, walks outside and finds his horse has been stolen. He walks into the bar, and fires his gun through the ceiling. "WHICH ONE OF YOU MOTHERS STOLE MY HOSS?" he yells. No-one answers. "ALRIGHT, I'M GONNA HAVE ANOTHA BEER, AND IF MY HOSS AIN'T OUTSIDE BY THE TIME I FINNISH, I'M GONNA DO WHAT I DUN IN TEXAS". He gets another beer, walks outside, and his horse is back, so he get's on it and makes to ride out of town. The bartender wanders out of the bar and asks "Say partner, what happened in Texas?". The cowboy turns to him and says "I had to walk all the way home..."                               

No comments:

Post a Comment