Saturday 4 June 2016

To carry photo gear and cheating


 June



Saturday morning and my copy of AP has arrived as normal. It won’t be long before it stops though seeing as we have cancelled the subscription. Anyway … I always flick through it to see what will be worth reading first when I come to relax with it, and a few items have caught my attention. The first one is a test of two new backpacks from Billingham, specially designed and aimed at photographers. There’s two versions of this pack, the 35 at £280 and the 25 at £350. These two packs look expensive and might be a thief magnate on their own. Add in a load of photo-kit and temptation rises even more.



Billingham is a big name in the photo-world along with a number of other makes. Even camera brands produce their named bags and packs, clearly showing their logo on them in a few places that can’t really be missed. I don’t have one. I do have a bag but it’s not a photo-bag. Actually I have two, a larger one that I keep all our gear in here at home, and all in one place. We both have smaller bags that we use for our day-to-day use. None of them has a logo on them.



They look cheap and indeed they were cheap at the time. They are not designed for photo-use, but so what? Each lens in my bag is in its own smaller bag and is well protected from the knocks of daily life. There’s another smaller pouch where I keep my spare batteries and SD cards. I also have an A5 notebook in there along with a number of pens and pencils, just like all writers should do.



What they don’t carry is my lappy whereas the bags in this test do. My bag will take my tablet though, but we are then getting into the area where weight comes into play. With my camera over my head and shoulder, hanging to my left side and my bag hanging on my right hip, I am already carrying enough added weight. Don’t forget a tripod either. And there’s the weight of the bags themselves, not that the larger bags gets out much these days, our last trip to Mallorca being the last time it left home.



The reasons for these bags is two-fold; a, the cost, all our bags cost less than £20; b, they don’t obviously look like photo-bags. It’s this latter reason that we have always gone down this route. The only problem we’ve had was when I lost my bag over in Brum one day, but there again, that could happen at any time and with any bag couldn’t it. It took a few days for me realise that it was missing, and by that time it was too late to do anything about. Back the mag then …



Each week they run a column called Appraisal, where they take images that a readers’ image and alter it in an attempt to improve it. In the past I’ve written about this because usually they show the unaltered image in a small version and then the doctored image much larger. To me the larger image will always look better anyway. This week they have posted both images at the same time. On page 40 they printed a shot of a lighthouse. The original looks too dark and contrasty, even for me who likes a lot of contrast. So they lightened it and brought more detail in the foreground and in the sky.



On page 41 however, they have a shot of a church and cemetery that looks nicely contrasted and lots of cloud details. On reading what they say about it, it opens a different argument altogether. HDR is the process of layering a number of images on to each other to bring out more details. In most of them you can clearly see this effect when they are on colour, and I’m not keen on them. This image is HDR but I hadn’t noticed that. The photographer has also changed the sky but editing in a different on. The mags ‘improved’ version is brighter and the sky has lost all the details; out of the two, I prefer the original as it was sent to them. The one word they didn’t use in text is ‘cheat’.



There is an argument about whether or not images should be altered by excessive editing. One pro-snapper lost his winner tag once a year or two ago when it came out he had removed and movie camera from the left foreground. The argument circles around the personal likes and dislikes and whether the image is actually finished once the shutter is clicked. In film photography that is pretty much as it is. However, there are ways of changing a negative by the way you develop it and the same with a print. I was shown one so-called ‘cheat’ in the darkroom by rubbing hard on the print with the heal of you hand, thereby deepening the back areas where needed. So cheating has always happened and will always happen.



Today’s photo …

My dad (one of the few I have), with Pally, his dog. I took and printed this shot myself and I can assure you that there were no tricks used in this one. I didn’t know any that time.



Today’s funny …


What is the difference between ignorance and apathy?
"I don't know, and I don't care."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment