Sunday 12 June 2016

The cost, the hungry and the power of a voice


June 12



Did you by any chance watch the trooping of the Colour yesterday? I certainly did and I have a feeling that for some reason I can’t put my finger on, it wasn’t as good, or perhaps a smoothly run, as it normally is. I’m not so sure that Liz was all that impressed either. The fly-past though was certainly well done, even if it was a fairly small display compared to what it used to be. I mean, where was the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy? Oh of course, they don’t have any fast jets now do they even if there is a huge great carrier almost ready and another on the way. They do have helicopters however, but of course the RAF had hogged that one too.



So the RN was conspicuous by their absence. Right at the end though it reminded of something that I have seen on YouTube a few times, the Death Marches of the Indian and Chinese armed forces. The drill and turn out of these forces is superb. After I first saw it I made a comment that struck me at the time; ‘While the parade was excellent, millions of people are hidden around the back starving.’



It was at the end of yesterday’s fly past that the same thought struck me. Those airplanes would have flown over some of the poorest areas of England to get there and to get back. Just how much did the whole show cost the tax payer? How money could have been spent on the NHS or on feeding some of hungry people of England? Of course, I’m not a royalist, even if I am a proud ex-soldier, and perhaps that colours my view point here.



But I also love history and that parade speaks of centuries of proud and noble history for the regiments involved. Even so, I’m not a lover of tradition for traditions sake. I mean, come on, do anything twice in the exact same way and it becomes a tradition! So now I know; I’m a republican lover of history who hates tradition. Oh dear … no wonder me erts s’much!



I wonder of you have ever thought about the power in our voices. Not all of us have done so and not all of us have used our voices to the full, thankfully! Really great orators a few and far between. Think of Churchill’s ‘We will fight them on the beaches’, speech being given by Roddy MacDowell for example. A voice that has always made me sit and taken notice of is Richard Burton. The man wasn’t at all likeable, but that voice of his was really powerful. His narration of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds was brilliant; so much so that when I came to read the book it entered my mind in Burton’s voice, not mine. Now I understand why Ian Rankin won’t watch or listen to any of actors who have played his Rebus.



This train was started when we sat and watched one of the Natural World on butterflies. The narrator was one Imelda Stoughton, or if it helps, Prof Umbridge of Parry Hotter fame. Two entirely different ways of using her voice, and both a success; a sign of a great actor folks. On a border front I’ve noticed that one of favourite actors, Morgan Freeman is doing voice overs in a number of ways, including the Tom Cruise version of the H G Wells classic. (Oh yes, it looks like Mr Cruise is going to be filming part of his movie in the Digbeth area of Brum later this year. What a nightmare for traffic that will be!)   

           

Peanut butter … the mere thought of the stuff makes me shudder! I don’t like nuts of any kind, and yet to show my contrariness even more, I do like the flavour of nuts. It’s the texture of the nuts themselves I don’t like. Every time I try them I end up with effects on different people though. My brother Dave loved them; but every time he ate them he had a really bad smell come off him, and no, he was clean and tidy. It got so bad in the cinema one time, no-one would sit near him. Of course, Dave being Dave, he loved that idea of having all that room just himself.  



But I do wonder why so many people love peanut butter. Crunchy or smooth it flies off supermarket shelves. It seems that we Brits (or some of us that is), are slaves to the stuff. As for me, I’ll stick to jam, lemon curd and marmalade!

Today’s photo …

Easter eggs I saw on sale on January 7 this year. Have a look at the EXIF data if you don’t believe me.  

Today’s funny …

Why do bananas never get lonely?
Because they always go around in bunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment