Thursday 23 June 2016

A no-satnav zone please


June 23



At 2201 tonight it will all be over apart from the counting and end result … at last! I’m in favour of leaving the EU and that’s how I shall be voting later this morning. Whatever the result I shall have to live with it, even if I don’t agree with it. However, my biggest concern is that if there is a vote to leave, Daft Dave will not be making much of an effort to sort out the details of our withdrawal. We shall soon see …



Not so long ago voices were raised because of the cuts to library services across the country, mine as well. And yet I rarely use our local library. The last book I borrowed was a guide book on Mallorca, which ended up about eights overdue. That’s not the reason as to why I don’t use it though. Basically, it’s because I know that whatever I take out, will not get read, simply because I am a slow reader. To spend time sitting and reading a library book in time to get it returned, means that something else will be put off or delayed. That means nothing will get done while I have the book, so I don’t use the Library.    



We have Kile with us now until at least Sunday. He asked his mum yesterday if he could come to us early, he was due on Friday anyway. The hope is that come Saturday the weather will be good enough to take him to Twycross Zoo, about eight miles from here. We’ve taken him there before but he doesn’t remember it. Hopefully I shall get some new photos for sharing on line. Kile will love running around with his Sony Alpha 350 too. He’s not bad snapper either, and often gets shots I missed or didn’t see.



At least we won’t have to set the satnav to get there. I really do hate the things. To me they are a lazy way to drive, and like all lazy methods, they are prone to make mistakes, like truckers turning down a narrow country lane when it’s clear that the road is not a suitable route, because the satnav says, Turn left/right’ or whatever. There was a show on telly about the Ordinance Survey that I recorded a few weeks ago. And just love their maps and have several of them ready for use.



The biggest problem with satnav is that they can’t take into account any of the local information, temporary or permanent. Things like one-way streets or pedestrian only area. There are so many different road signs that drivers have to take into account, and yet the good old First Lady of the road, ignores them all. Another issue is that they don’t take into account the type of vehicle they are installed in and seem to take artics over bridges with a 7-ton weight limit.



The biggest problem with them as I see it, is that so many drivers switch on the satnav and switch off their common sense. This applies to all types of drivers, HGV or car drivers. Part of the driving test is to read and apply the information on the road signs. Having passed a driving test you have shown that you are able to drive without that First Lady. So why do so many people become dependent on the box of tricks? It’s all down to laziness, plain and simple.



Satnav errors are not the only problem that face HGV drivers, like this one (which will suit as Today’s photo,) and was this driver’s own fault …

Taken on the old M6/M1/A14 junction, just as it started raining.          



Today’s funny …



After a car crash one of the drivers is lying injured at the side of the road. 'Don't worry,' said a policeman, a Red Cross nurse is coming to attend to you.'
Oh no,' groaned the victim, 'couldn't I have a blonde, cheerful one?'

No comments:

Post a Comment