Wednesday 22 June 2016

Silly games and youngsters


June 22



Fun and games in Jaronland yesterday afternoon. Our new Blue Ray/home cinema system arrived at the same time as I was on the phone to the Walsgrave Hospital. We tried setting it up in the afternoon, oh dear … I sit back and let Jan get on with it whenever we need to do this, and she did a good job. That is until will tried to see the difference in sound when we watch a DVD. And we couldn’t get anything from it at all.



So I phoned the Samsung help line. What a farce! When was the last time you spoke to a Pilipino living on an island on other side of the world? Talk about pulling teeth … However, she said something about using an ARC cable. In the end I gave up on her because she was having to repeat what she was saying two or three times before I could I finally understood what she was saying. Next task was to re-read the telly specs, and guess what? The telly is ARC compatible, but only on HDMI 1. This morning I swapped the cables over and right now we are watching telly and I’ve had to reduce the volume by a small amount. We’ll try a DVD later.



OK, so it was difficult to fully understand what that lass was saying yesterday however, I’m finding the same thing with some English youngsters; and no, it’s not the normal them n us thing either. With some of these kids there’s a tendency to speak really quickly, and that makes it hard to understand what they are saying. Or is it just me? Whatever, I do wonder about though, is what is the point is of such fast speech.



And while I’m writing about youngsters … As you will know, I am a Type 2 diabetic, and for that reason I follow a number diabetes groups on both Twitter and Facebook. Quite regularly they post stories of young kids, that is, three and four year olds who are Type 1 diabetics. These kids are highlighted because they are managing their condition themselves. What amazes me is that it means taking regular blood sugar tests and taking insulin as and when needed. More power to them I say. But I also wonder just how they do it without supervision. To be able to do the whole thing at their age really does make them heroes.



What is it about kids who are able to play through pain and discomfort, conditions which many adults can’t handle. Our son Tom had a tooth extracted and was out playing straight after it. A few weeks later I went to the same dentist and had just the one tooth taken out, and I could hardly move after it. I don’t ‘do’ dentists anyway and this is just one instance of how I feel after visiting them. It’s a big ‘no no’ for me.



Enough of my rabbiting on; the pet shop at Merry Hell we went in didn’t seem to have all that many animals in stock, err, you don’t think perhaps …




Today’s funny …



A commercial traveller was passing through a small town when he came upon a huge funeral procession.
"Who died?" he asked a nearby local.
"I'm not sure," replied the local, " but I think it's the one in the coffin."
        

No comments:

Post a Comment