Monday 26 October 2015

Digital or film, which is best?



26 October

The other day I was speaking of the size and weight of camera kit, even basic starter kit can add up to quite a load of stuff to haul about. That was where I made my mistake with the Sony A77. The only set up I could afford when I changed it was my current Nikon D5200. And yet even though I really like my kit, there is always a draw for me to go back to 35mm film kit. It was a 35mm camera, a Halina 35X that really got me first interested in photography. Not so long ago I read a review of it and it wasn’t very good at all, and yet I don’t remember anything like that.

So many pro-snappers learned their art using black and white film stock in various formats. It seems from reports I’ve read that a growing number of snapper in Japan and moving back to film. One of the arguments against digital was the lack of quality and control on the first digital cameras. Some Japanese folk have decided that there is still some sense in that, that’s why they returning to film.

However, the report I read didn’t say which film format they are using. There’s still a few available, 35mm and 120 roll film being just two of them. Now we only have one format, and that’s digital. Yes, there are various size and types of sensor but they are still all digital. How do I feel about all the discussion? Well, I’m sticking with digital now, simply because I can’t afford to go back to film. If I wanted to, I would need a camera and most likely a number of lenses. Add in the cost of the film and P&D and it’s all well out of our reach right now.

Yesterday I got several longhand pages of Arathusia typed up. Now I need to get and get more done before I lose the whole thread from my mind. There’s 77 pages of it so far and I’ve typed up 25 of them. I thought I was so clever producing my first draft in longhand, but I hadn’t given enough thought to the typing. Even so, I do find the longhand writing to be a real pleasure while I’m doing it, so I will continue, but won’t leave it so long before I type it up. I should be able to get a good bit more typed up this afternoon too.

The other week I was thrilled find out that another ex-ACC chef was now a writer too. I’ve bought one of his novels, Children of Hern for kindle and I began reading it last night, and it’s not a bad story either. It’s a crime/murder mystery set in Peterborough. I have two set in Cambridge, just a few miles down the road. If it keeps up the pace then I shall be looking for more of Chip Walker’s writing later. After all, by buying his work I am support an ex-corps man anyway.

One of my Facebook friends posted a photo yesterday of a bowl of French onion soup, and it looked really nice. Diana said it tasted as good as it looked. Of course, having seen it I want to try it now, and I will so, probably tomorrow, today’s dinner is already planned out. I’ve just checked me books and found the recipe for it so that’s OK. That’s another mistake I made when I bought that book. It’s 1001 One Pot Casseroles and Soups; I thought it meant one person, not just one pot. At least I can reduce the amount, and anyway, I do tend to adjust them all for me and Jan.

Today’s photo … 

A similar soup (maybe a stew of sorts?), to the French onion, but I can’t remember what the lump was in the middle. I do remember it being very nice though.

Today’s funny is another Q&A type …

 Q: What gets wetter the more it dries?          A: A towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment