Wednesday 21 October 2015

Chinese Takeaway Pt 2



21 October

It’s been some time now since the work on the outside of our flats was finished – or was it? This morning there’s a gang of workers again doing something to the pebble dashing near the various block entrances. We’ve not been that nosey to actually go and ask what’s happening, even though I was tempted, but it’s really a tad too cold for me at least, to go out there just to be, well, nosey. I’m sure not what is being done won’t spoil my sleep tonight.

Mushrooms; I love ‘em. I never used to and indeed they made me feel quite sick when I saw them in the frying pan when mam cooked them for everyone else in the family. Onions was something else I couldn’t stand as a kid as well. The army sorted out a lot of like and don’t likes and now I really do enjoy mushrooms. Then there I was sat looking through last week’s telly pages and saw a programme on BBC4 called The Magic of Mushrooms.

We just sat and watched it, and very informative it was too. For some time I have known about the link between all life and fungi in general but this show has expanded on that a good bit. It seems that some types of fungi have a lot more uses than just to fill our bellies with nice food. Tests are on-going over the Atlantic to use fungi as a means cleaning up some toxic contamination. Early results are proving very promising. In another area fungi are being used as a replacement for Styrofoam packaging, which being biodegradable is good news for all of us. Perhaps some brainy so-n-so could see if they can be used to get rid of plastics too. Then we would be making a big moves to clean up the planet.

It seems like I am not the only one who is concerned about China being allowed a foothold in our nuclear industry. A guy on the news at lunch time said that no country in Europe, nor the USA would allow such a move. For Petes sake, even Charlie Windsor wants nothing to do with it! And yet Daft Dave is pushing harder for it to happen. Cynic that I am thinks there’s been an exchange of cash somewhere along the lines.

And yet the new power station isn’t the only target of the Chinese; they have their eyes set on HS2. Is there something with my logic here I wonder. I’ve always to own a Leica M-series camera and lenses, but guess what? I can’t afford them, so I don’t get them. Perhaps when it comes to spending £30+ Billion for a train set, there’s a difference. Surely if we can’t afford to build it, we shouldn’t even be looking at the possibility of doing so. But another thought comes in here now …

If the Chinese are given the opportunity to invest in HS2, what will happen if sense prevails and we don’t build it? How will the Chinese react to that? But hang on, nothing is certain about it yet, or at least that is what we are being told. I don’t know, am I missing something here? Have deals behind closed been struck; contracts signed? Let’s face it, no government is 100% open about all its workings, so why should Daft Dave’s group be any different?

Today’s photo … 

This one I know I’ve never posted before. I got it at Bangor in North Wales years ago. We had walked the length of the pier and looked across to Anglesey and this is all we could see. I personally like this one.

Today’s funny …

The old Sioux chief sat in his reservation hut, smoking the ceremonial pipe, eyeing the two US government officials sent to interview him.
"Chief Two Eagles," one official began, "you have observed the white man for many generations, you have seen his wars and his products, you have seen all his progress, and all his problems."
The chief nodded. The official continued, "Considering recent events in New York, in your opinion, where has the white man gone wrong?"
The chief stared at the government officials and continued smoking his pipe for over a minute, and then calmly replied: "When white man found this land, Indians were running it. No taxes. No debt. No house payments. No Daycare. Plenty buffalo. Women did all the cooking. Medicine man free. Indian men hunted and fished all the time."
The chief smiled, and added quietly, "White man dumb enough to think he could improve a system like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment