Wednesday 7 October 2015

Decisons made and acted on



7 October

A decision is made and later on this afternoon I shall be taking myself off the insurance for our car. I shall then be returning my driving license to DVLA. It’s something I would need to do anyway if I am diagnosed with Parkinson’s but from early this year I haven’t really felt all that safe while I’ve been driving, even more so when Jan hasn’t been with me to take over. Not only that, I don’t enjoy driving as much as I used to. Top and bottom, if I was keep at it, it would just stubbiness on my part.

Anyway, first bit is done and I am no longer insured to drive our car; and der yer know wot? I don’t feel upset by it, I actually feel relieved. Not step is surrendering my license, and for that I have printed out the form from DVLA and we will get it in the post tomorrow when we go out. Yes, I do feel better for having made the choice and getting on with it.

Something else has also come to us making another decision; this time it’s about the new kitchen we are due to have installed. You see, there is no room in our small one bedroomed flat to store all the items in our current kitchen. Like most folks, we have a washing machine, a tumble dryer, a small chest freezer, the cooker of course, and a nucer. We also have nine units, four of which we have to take down and keep safe until the job is done.

All of the units are full of things that we tend to use every day at some. But we are not looking forward to trying to live with workers coming in and out, hammering and banging and whatever for the three weeks the job will take. We have already lived with that when we had a new kitchen and bathroom fitted in our house in Bracebridge Street. At least then we could remain in the front room and let the guys get on and do what needs doing. The only place we can go hide in here is the bedroom, but that is already full of stuff.

So what we are looking to ask is if we could cancel having the job done. Our current kitchen is old and dated but works fine for us. At the best of times I don’t like noise in a small place, and when they start here it will be horrendous. Not only that, I tend to get very irritable very quickly these days and it doesn’t take much to bring it on. The noise in here is likely to bring it on even more quickly. But the main reason is that we are just not up to moving things about like that now. For all of these reason we are not really up to having the job done. We are hoping the council will play ball with us now.

On Monday I began typing up Arathusia, and it’s changing as I do so. I’ve not deleted anything, but I have added a few things and changed a good few others. So this longhand version really is a first draft. Later today I shall get on and do some more. The novel I am nearly ready to release has been offered to a friend of mine, Barbara who knows someone who was in the RN, and she is going to ask if he could have a read through and give me any pointers or correct any clangers I may have dropped. I’m just waiting for Barbara to get back in touch and let me know.

Today’s photo … 

An old guy having a fag, Coventry.

Today’s funny …

 In an unprecedented display of quick thinking, local second graders Terrance McKinley and Jason Lawrence stopped an armed robbery last Saturday, October 31st. The young boys, who wore police officer costumes for Halloween, went Trick or Treating with Mrs. McKinley at Z & Z corner market. When they entered the store, they saw a masked man at the counter and brandished their firearms. Terrance screamed, "Halt, in the name of the law!" The offender dropped his gun and put his hands in the air long enough for the cashier in attendance to restrain the criminal. When interviewed, Terrance said simply: "I thought we were playing cops and robbers."      

No comments:

Post a Comment