Tuesday 28 July 2015

Windozzzzzz



28 July

Tomorrow Microsoft are releasing their new operating system, Windows 10. This is a strange company all-round you know. If you think back over the various systems it had brought out over the years you’ll see a very patchy history. Windows 95 was a vast improvement on the old DOS system, but anything would have been better than that. After that came a number of others, 97, Millennium, ME and so on and the company came in for a lot of stick over them.

Eventually XP arrived and proved to be far better than anything before it. Longhorn was delayed a numbers of times but was eventually released as Vista, and that was crap! Windows 7 was much better though and I certainly got on well with it, but still preferred XP. Then 8 hit the shelves. My current ‘puter ran on 8 but it had 8.1 ready for download and installation as an option if wanted.

Problems began soon after I got settled with 8 when I kept getting invites to move up to 8.1. At that time I didn’t want the upgrade, even if it was free. After a time I got one the dreaded restart messages come in when I wasn’t sat at it to working, and the damned thing went through it, behind my back I like to think of it. It took ages to complete too. When it did I found that it had installed 8.1, and my nightmares began in earnest.

Every time to booted up I was getting error message of error message and was running very slowly. Then the dammed machine wouldn’t go through the full start up and hung about half way through. I’m lucky I suppose that I am a Which? Member, so I contacted their computer help desk. It still took around two weeks to finally get it sorted and now my machine works very well indeed.

So, will I got for 10 tomorrow? No, I won’t, at least not just yet. You see, my copy of Which? Computing arrive yesterday and they have written about the download. It seems the download is only free for one year; so what happens after the first year? Are we going to have to pay the full cost for it? Not only that, all Windows systems seem to need an update after a few months. So maybe I will wait for a bit to see how things pan out.
    
I wonder how many public libraries still provide large print books. I’ve never really worried about print size in books (font type is a different matter altogether as we all found out when we bought one of the set books for Art and its Histories, one of the OU courses I did). Anyway, I’ve said before that I’m not a fast reader so when I finished Peter Robinson’s Abattoir Blues, I began the third part of Lord of the Rings. The difference in print size is such that my reading speed has dropped quite a bit. Strange that don’t you think.

And today’s photo … 

Another public art work called The Last Haul, that I shot in Barmouth on Saturday.

Today’s funny is another child’s version of a biblical passage …

God knew that one day Adam would require someone to locate and hand him the remote.  

No comments:

Post a Comment