Monday 20 July 2015

The right to smoke tobacco



20 July

BBC News today; folks needing NHS wheelchairs are having to wait up to seven years to get the right model to meet their needs. OK, so what’s new? There are waiting lists for everything these days. Jan used to have one and I pushed around town for years in hers. Now I can’t actually do the pushing so we made arrangements for it to go back. Guess what? We had to wait for that for that too. It took three phone calls before they finally came to get it.

I’ve always wondered why they don’t like taking things back, and I found out why and then forgot about it. You see, they buy an item for a medical need and it’s VAT free; but if it goes back they then have to pay the VAT on the item. There can’t be any excuse for making people wait that long; why not take chairs back when they are no longer needed. It would free up so many more chairs for those that need them.

According to Facebook Brighton beach is to become a no smoking area. Various comments are being made over it but at some time all smoking in public will be banned. Remember that we are speaking of just 25% of the UK population who drag on the dread weed. There are pros and cons as with everything else in life and we all need to make some effort to fit in. But you know what, smokers are not only harming their own lives, which they know about of course, but as they walk along with a lighted fag in their hands, it’s at just the right height to catch kids as they go by them.

Wheelchairs/scooter users are also at just the right height to catch that naked light as they pass them. Both Jan and I have been caught by one at different times. One day someone will be seriously harmed by a lighted fag. Who will be at fault here I wonder? I bet the smoker won’t accept any blame!      

Same as everything else, it’s all down to rights and responsibility again. Smokers will claim that they have the right to smoke out on the street. That’s fine but there are not many who will admit that when they do they have a responsibility to do so safely and not cause and ill effects to others using that same street. We all want the rights but oh so few want the responsibilities that come with those rights.
   
Today’s photo … 

Houses in Bourton on the Water.

And today’s funny …
When Forest Gump died, he stood in front of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter said, "Welcome, Forest. We've heard a lot about you." He continued, "Unfortunately, it's getting pretty crowded up here and we find that we now have to give people an entrance examination before we let them in."
"Okay," said Forest. "I hope it's not too hard. I've already been through a test. My momma used to say, 'Life is like a final exam. It's hard.' "
"Yes, Forest, I know. But this test is only three questions. Here they are."
1) Which two days of the week begin with the letter 'T'?"
2) How many seconds are in a year?
3) What is God's first name?
"Well, sir," said Forest, "The first one is easy. Which two days of the week begin with the letter 'T'? Today and Tomorrow."
St. Peter looked surprised and said, "Well, that wasn't the answer I was looking for, but you have a point. I give you credit for that answer."
"The next question," said Forest, "How many seconds are in a year? Twelve."
"Twelve?" said St. Peter, surprised and confused.
"Yes, sir. January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd …"
St. Peter interrupted him. "I see what you mean. I'll have to give you credit for that one, too."
"And the last question," said Forest, "What is God's first name? It's Andy."
"Andy?" said St. Peter, in shock. "How did you come up with 'Andy'?"
"I learned it in church. We used to sing about it." Forest broke into song, "Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me, Andy tells me I am His own."
St. Peter opened the gate to heaven and said, "Run, Forest, Run!"

No comments:

Post a Comment