Thursday 16 July 2015

Bits n bobs



16 July

After Jan’s appointment at the Hussy yesterday we drove back into town for a couple of hours seeing as it was the normal Wednesday Market. I’m sure that the market is getting smaller every time I go down there. I also called into Smudges place for a photo mag and then across the road to Waterstones for the next two Game Thrones books. They were on offer of buy one, get one half price, so that was good but then I used the points on my Waterstones card which effectively gave one book free.

We also went into a games/DVD store where we bought the first three series of the DVDs too. Inside the box was a lot of bits n bobs including a leaflet on some paper weights, clothes and so on to go with the books and DVDs. Jan looked up all these little goodies and the price is quiet high; like £35 for a paper weight, £150 for pendent, £18 for tee-shirt. When she told me those prices I realised just what a money spinner Martin had created, but of course, he’s not the only one is he; Rowling is perhaps the obvious first example. Then there’s the creators of Star Wars and Star Trek. Oh to have success like that hey?

The Greeks are not a happy people at the moment. They voted for a prime muppet who made promises he couldn’t keep. Did he know at the time he made them? I didn’t know but he will now have to face the consequences of his broken promises. The whole country is in a mess and will continue to be in one for a long time to come. I’m sure that most working people would love to retire at 58 on a full pension. I’m lucky that 67 I am already a pensioner but in the future other will have to work longer than the 60/65 that is norm now.

I do wonder if some of these workers are going to be safe at those ages doing the jobs they have always done. There are people who are still working in their 70s and 80s, but they are few and far in between. For most people that is just a pipe dream. Can you see a 75 year old train driver? No, nor me! And yet is what is likely to happen when this current mob of muppets finish off.

We have just got back from the GP; I saw one a week or two ago after my fall but since then I seem to have been tripping up and over balancing a fair bit. There’s a few other things that I experience as well and that is why I went back today. The result is that I am being referred on to a neurologist to find out what is happening. So yet again I shall have trips to the Hussy or the Walsgrave and will sit around for hours at time waiting to see them … and that won’t count how long it takes to get the letter/email wrote and for an appointment to come through. At least I can still get out and about when I need to.

Today’s photo … 

Fireweed, a common plant with a pretty flower here in Britain, but oh what a mess it makes when comes time to shed its seeds.

Publishers, don’t we just love ‘em …

DH Lawrence had his Lady Chatterley’s Lover read by one publisher, not to publish it, ‘ … for your own sake …’ Opps!               

No comments:

Post a Comment