Sunday 4 May 2014

Windows yet again, editors and a quote

4 May

This is my second attempt at writing today's blog. The last attempt was done in Word. But there I was typing away and the damn things just closed down; the whole program just closed down. Luckily I suppose, I had only typed just one paragraph. whatever, this Windows 8 and Office 365 is a total waste of space! Nuff said!!!

My copy of Writing Magazine arrived in the week, I finally got to open the pack last night. Inside was a small booklet about the Teach Yourself creative writing books/courses. Anyway, I started reading ot last night and came across a qoute that struck a chord with me ... 'Keep a notebook. Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it ... Cheap paper is less perishable than grey matter, and lead pencil markings endure longer than memory.' (Jack London, 1903). 

I should think that most writers do keep a notebook to hand. In fact, I have so many I have difficulty in remember where they all are at times.There's one beside my bed, one in each car, one in each camera bag, one by my armchair, one here beside me 'puter. No doubt when I start tidying up soon I will some more. 

The second part of the quote rings true too. I've said on here before about ideas I've had that have disappeared into the mists of time, simply because I didn't make a note of them at time. I wonder how many times this has happened to other writers. It obviously has because London was able to mention it. 

Something else I've wondered about is this ... Bronte wrote a few books, I'm sure you don't need to be reminded of that, but did she have an editor of her  work? Was her work proof read by anyone?  I wonder about these things because right now we writers of novels have to go through all that palarva don't we? 

I wonder about it simply because it will cost me £200 to have Shipshape edited, and that's 51,000 works. I hate to think how much House of pain would cost at around 118,000 words! 

So now we come to photo time - and yet more Windows 8 problems. I've just been looking at my photos and realised that when I copied them over, a couple of folders haven't copied over. And yesterday I uploaded 40 odd images from my Sony A77 but now Elements 11 won't open them! How many more problems am I going get with this damn system!!!

Anyway, here's one I haven't posted here before ... 

Fish, but no chips.

The Sage spoke yesterday ..

An elderly gentleman was on the operating table awaiting surgery and he insisted that his son-in-law, a renowned surgeon, perform the operation.
As he was about to get the anaesthesia, he asked to speak to his son-in-law. 'Yes, Dad, what is it?'
'Don't be nervous son; do your best and just remember, if it doesn't go well...... if something happens to me, your mother in law is going to come and live with you.'
The surgery was a great  success.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment