Tuesday 13 May 2014

Lenses, cameras and far too heavy



13 May

Lens maker Tamron have what they call a ‘travel lens’, a 18-270mm telephoto lens. The term travel lens is applied because for most people, the zoom range covers normal lenses someone would take with them on holiday. Well, it’s a good job I don’t have any plans to go out today because I have ordered one and Parcel Farce is due to deliver it today.

The long range of 270mm is 30mm short of my 70-300mm lens, but having to carry just one lens and not two, makes it a desirable optic to own. There is a way for me to improve my photography by a heck of lot; I should use a tripod for a lot of it. BUT … carrying a tripod along with DSLR and two lenses all adds to the weight I would have to carry, even when I’m using my scooter. So the thought of just carrying one lens, actually on the camera body, has been an attraction for me for some time.

When that lens first came out it was priced at just shy of £500. Yesterday I paid just over £300. It makes me wonder if they have a new optic due to come out soon. If they have it will be priced at a priced I couldn’t afford, so right now it’s a bargain. Now it’s just a case of being patient while I wait for it to arrive.

Radical Islam has been on telly again, this time on last night’s Panorama. Just what is it that causes men in prison to convert to Islam so easily, and so radical a strain of Islam? One reason given on the programme was fear of other inmates and the protection the Muslims offer. However, I wonder whether that fear is then returned on the converts when they are released. In that way a method of controlling their actions can be guaranteed.

It is frightening that so much fear can be instilled in these men. The radical Muslims are quite clear in their objective; it is the over throw of democracy in favour of Sharia Law. That in and of itself is enough to be a worry to every thinking man and woman in the country. Why? Well, just think back to the early 1930s and the rise of a small party of fanatics who later went on to cause so much pain and suffering throughout the world. Think on this, and never forget it!

Today’s photo then is … 

Kile with a couple of visitors.

And to lift the mood a little, I offer …

 We were checking in for our international flight, when my husband turned to me and said, “darn, I should have packed the piano!” I turned to him and replied, ” are you crazy? What’s that supposed to mean?” He replies sheepishly, “I forgot the passports on top of the piano!”    

No comments:

Post a Comment