Friday 23 May 2014

Murder inestigation, new lens and the NHS story rummbles on.

23 May

In one of his Roy Grace novels, Peter James mentioned a book about investigating murder. Well, I thought that might be a decent read for a writer of crime/murder fiction. I eventually found, and ordered one, on Amazon; it arrived here yesterday. I sat and began reading it last night and so far it seems OK. But just as I sat to write this blog, I remembered that I had managed to download another such book. That is still sat on me lappy, so I need to fire it up and copy it over to me new ‘puter. If I had remembered that earlier, it would have saved me a few quid … ah well … … …

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new lens, a Tamron 18mm-270mm ‘travel lens’. I gave it a run out last weekend but I’m not sure about the results overall. On a number of the images there seemed to be a yellow tinge to them. I’m hoping to out again this weekend to give it another go. Tamron lenses are normally very good and the two others we have here are excellent lenses. Maybe I should swap lenses with Jan for a day and see if it makes any difference.

Of course, it might not be the lens; it could be something to do with the camera. I know that I do keep forgetting to change the settings on it back to how they were changed for a particular shot, or shots. That’s why I’d like to swap with Jan for one day. You see, Jan rarely changes the settings on her Alpha 330. That why we know whether it was me or not.

The Hussy is in the News again! This time it’s about the number of cancelled operations due to staff shortages. There’s nothing new in that I suppose, however it does show that the overall staffing problem up there is still and issue. Jan was in there one time and there was just three staff on the ward one night shift – and one of them was a nurse! Of course, the Hussy is not the only hospital to have this problem. There was on item on the news last night about GPs working in A&E because of a shortage of consultants. One unit needs 16 such doctors, yet there was only three there.

Another issue with A&E is the number of people turning up there for treatment. If GPs were open at more patient friendly hours, then there might well be a drop in A&E attendance. We left our last GP because of problem there over our repeat prescriptions, but trying to get an appointment at the new practice is problematic. Phone them for an appointment and you could well have to wait nearly two weeks for one. Other than that it’s a case of getting up early and phoning them in the hope you have got through quickly enough and they one left for that day. This again, seems to be a national problem too. We are told to phone NHS Direct. So, in the past I have done so and the only advice they were gave me was to see a GP. What is the answer then?

I’ve said it before; if we want a NHS then we have to fully fund it! Yet the current governments is cutting the funding the NHS gets. Oh yes, they say they are giving and extra X£, but then demand greater and greater savings. The saving mean that unrealistic targets are not met and the services that don’t meet the targets get fined. They fine a trust for not meeting its targets because of lack of funds or staff and then have their resources cut by a fine!  Come on … how can anyone be so stupid with only one head?

Enough of that for today … here’s today photo … 

May Blossom.

And today’s funny …

Working in aviation, I was doing the night shift at the airport directing the planes in and out. All of a sudden the radio crackles and I hear a young voice request permission to approach the runway to land. I ask for a name, and he replies, “guess who?” I turn off the runway lights and say, “guess where?!”          

No comments:

Post a Comment