Friday 9 May 2014

Kile, new beds and passports



9 May

We are due to have Kile this weekend but we’ve heard nothing from his mum about us collecting him. Jan is getting ready to go out to pick up his mum to take her and Billy-Boy to the church play group. I’m hoping she finds out about Kile while she’s with Sam. We’ve normally got this tied up by now; but we are aware that Sam is trying to comfort her best friend whose father died about a week ago. That’s why we are not pushing it so much.

Over the last week or so we have been looking at buying a couple of new beds. So when we sat and watched today’s Fake Britain we are now more than a little worried about the safety of some of the mattresses on sale here in the UK. They had tested four mattresses from four different suppliers and they all failed the UK safety standards. But hang on a minute; these tests are performed using an open flame. As far as I can see there are two ways for an open flame to get near our beds (other than a fire elsewhere in the flat). One way is if someone falls asleep while smoking; we don’t smoke. The other one is an electrical fire. We don’t have electric blankets and all our other electrics are well away from the beds. However, that doesn’t mean we can be safely sure we are not at risk. No-one can be 100% sure of that can they?

Another issue raised in today’s programme was that of horse passports. These were brought in as way of preventing horses being stolen. I’m not a horse lover, but I can understand how many other people become very attached to their horse. I’m still missing Cindy-pup after losing her a few years ago. It seems however, that the horse passport scheme is wide open to abuse. There’s no central data base of horse and their passports. There are 75 different organisations that issue the passports and fake passports are being more common.

Horse theft might still be an issue, indeed, according to the programme it is; but there is another issue that could be even more serious. If a horse with a fake passport arrives in the UK and is carrying some sort of disease, the possibility of serious outbreak of that particular disease. Thankfully we have been lucky with that.

Today’s photo then is of Cindy-pup …



And today’s funny comes from my new source …

 After moving from my hometown in Ohio to New York City, I had to find a new doctor. Being that I had a very comprehensive health history, I sent  all of my medical paperwork before my appointment.  when I came into the doctor’s office he looked startled to see me. ” why are you looking at me like that doctor,” I asked. After browsing through the extensive medical history again he looks up and says, ” I thought so, well there’s one thing I can say for certain, you sure look better in person than you do on paper!”

No comments:

Post a Comment