Monday 12 May 2014

Money, hardship and charity giving



12 May

At various times over the last few weeks I have heard the comment that the British public are very generous when it comes to charitable giving. As individuals we may well be, but not so when it comes to businesses. Armed Forces Day is being held on June 28 and so far no business has offered any finical help to stage the event here in Dorktown. The town’s Veterans Contact Point is organising it and they have had a one of £7,000 grant but are now facing having to pay for the rest of the cost from their own pockets.

The Dorktown Carnival is due to take place next month. Well, it is if enough lorries can be found to be used as floats. The carnival is a long established event held on the second Saturday of June every year. Local firms supplied the lorries and was a good way for the companies to get some free advertising. This year, it seems that the lorry owners are no longer interested in taking part.

So two major events in the town are finding it hard work to keep their efforts on track. I wonder why? Maybe it’s because there are far too many calls for help on an international and national level where natural disasters have caused great hardship. Maybe it’s because there are so many charity shops in towns up and down the country. And maybe it’s because government policies are making things so hard for the companies to make any profit at all, which means there is little if any leeway left in the coffers. Whatever the reason, we have to realise that there is only so much money available and these days, we all have to be very careful how we spend every penny we do spend.

I spent some time sorting out my photos from Saturday; So far, this is my favourite shot … 

Lilac bush, which happens to be my favourite colour anyway.

And the Sage last night …

A woman finds Aladdin's magic lamp. She starts rubbing it and a Genie comes out as usual. The woman looks at the Genie and asks him to grant her wishes:
- I want my husband to have eyes only for me.
- I want to be the only one in his life.
- I want him to sleep always by my side.
- I want that when he gets up in the morning I'm the first thing he grabs and takes me everywhere he goes.
The Genie turned her into a Smart Phone....!!!         

No comments:

Post a Comment