Tuesday 6 May 2014

DVDs, good or bad, subjective choice



6 May

Last evening we sat and watched The Curse of King Tut’s Tomb, with Casper Van Dein in the lead part. What we didn’t know at the time was that it is two parts, we’ll watch the second part tomorrow seeing as Jan’s out this evening. Casper Van Dien by the way, took the lead in Starship Troopers.  Based on a book by Robert Heinlein, I really enjoyed the book. The movie was OK, but not one I would want to see too often. Anyway … getting back to Tut’s Tomb …

So far we haven’t seen any rampaging ancient mummies; no, this time it’s flying demons. I’m not sure which film it is borrowing from the most, the four Indiana Jones (IJ), or the Mummy’s Tomb (MT), with Brendon wots-his-name taking the lead. It’s based in Egypt same as MT but has a baddie following the lead around taking the finds of the hero, like in IJ. It’s certainly watchable but I think once will be enough. However, that DVBD was the second one we had tried.

The first one was Raptor Ranch and that really is CRAP!!! We stopped it after only ten minutes. Later it got me thing of something I had read in Writing Magazine. It was something about keeping reader interested and turning the pages. That’s something we writers always need to keep in mind. However, I can remember books where that hasn’t happened for me, too many times really.

But does that mean the book isn’t any good? Well, for me it does, but someone else may think differently. At least the agent and publishers think the book is worthwhile. Here again we come to just how subjective the arts are and where the good/bad line is. That line is wherever the individual beholder, (reader, viewer, listener and so on), sees it.

I’ve count of how many times I’ve read reviews on books, films and so on which I have disagreed with. Some of the American so-called comedy films like Dumb and Dumber are an example. Poems are another example. I just can’t get on with it at all, yet others race about it. Country and western music(?), is another area where I find problems. I just can’t stand it! Photography is just as bad. I like high contrast B&W, Jan isn’t so keen.

So with all this in mind I post what I consider are good, or at least acceptable images and all I can do is to hope that you like them. So for today then, I offer … 

A painting I snapped in Brixham last year.

And today’s funny …

For our daughters 5th birthday we bought her a rabbit. We couldn’t help laughing when on the way she announced “the rabbit’s name is Sparingly.” “How do you know?” I asked “look” she responded “it says “feed sparingly 3 times daily.”

No comments:

Post a Comment