Wednesday 29 July 2015

Donate your organs please!



29 July

Regular readers of my blog will know that Jan and I like to watch the medical programmes on telly. A new one began last night with the title Transplant Tales. We record it and watched it this morning, and very interesting it is too, well worth watching if you get the chance. The main thrust of programme is get over the idea that transplant donors are in short supply. However, and this one surprised us, there is an even greater shortfall in donors of good quality organs from young donors.

That is a due mainly to the use of seat belts during crashes. The result is that most donors are now elderly folk and their organs are perhaps not in the best condition. So the latest thing is that of other healthy people donating kidneys. That’s great, I’m all for it, but again there are problems with that too. Blood groups of couples may not be compatible so a system has been set up where a number of volunteer donors all give one kidney at the time. The tissue matching has already been done and then the organ taken from donor goes to one patient and so on until the agreed number of donations are transplanted into the agreed number of patients. This one works too, and takes a number of patients of the waiting list in one go.

Jan and I have been carrying donor cards right for years now, and we both now have a tattoo saying Multi Organ Donor so that if needed things can go ahead as needed. So right now I am going to appeal to as many of my readers as possible to carry a donor card and/or register with the relevant donor organisation closest to you. We were unable to offer bone marrow to a friend because we are both over the age limit. As it was, I couldn’t anyway because of my heart condition. But my kidneys and liver and so on are fine. So please my friends, register to be donors.

Tomorrow Jan is off to spend some time with a friend of hers from church. The weather looks good so I shall be going off into town on me scooter for a couple of hours. So I shall look at doing some more photos and maybe getting some writing done too. When I think about it though … hmmm … Thursday tomorrow; that’s curry club day at Whetherspoons, even more of a reason to go out eh.

One of the prime muppets mates had a fall and his wife to took him to the local hospital … opps … no A&E, and they had to drive 40-50 minutes to their nearest one. So at long last one muppets has found out what it is really like out on the streets of England. Maybe he will think a bit more about he works in London now? I doubt it though, he’s blue through and through and he’ll never admit to any mistakes. How sad that is.

Today’s photo … 

A church in Barmouth.

And today’s funny is another child’s view of the Bible – poor Adam …

God knew Adam would never go out and buy himself a new fig leaf when his wore out and would therefore need Eve to buy one for him.     

No comments:

Post a Comment