Tuesday 7 February 2012

60 years is a long to sit on the bog

7 February 2012

So we have the present incumbent of Buck House for 60 years.  The Dorktown News this morning encourages all to get out and celebrate.  I wonder if Mrs Windsor senior will mind too much if I don't?  Or even know if I don't?  As you can gather, I'm not a royalist.  I would much sooner we were a republic where I don't have to kowtow to someone just because they were lucky enough to be born into their position.  Much better if they had worked from the bottom up to be there, then I would more inclined to show some respect!  However, I am realist enough to know and understand that my thoughts on this are pretty much in the minority and there is little if any chance of the UK becoming a republic.  So I might not actually take part in all the celebrations that will go on, but I won't begrudge those that want to, to be able to do so in peace and happiness.

It seems though that there are some folks who will not even allow that.  I'm, not into sports either but I am looking forward to the Olympics later this year.  But the dissident republicans in Ireland are planning to bomb their way around the country during both events.  And that really shows one of the many weaknesses of being a republic I suppose.  I'm not so sure that it is still about a united Ireland as such, its more about a united Ireland under their control, rather than the control of a government and the people.  There are weaknesses in all such systems.  The UK system of a constitutional monarchy seems to be working well enough.  I suppose we will have to be thankful for that get on with life as best we can.

After my GP appointment yesterday I went over to the Tesco Arena in Coventry to do a bit of shopping.  For a Tesco store it's not a bad one really, large, open with plenty of room to get around and look and find what you want.  We don't normally shop there as we find it more expensive than Asda; we also thing Tesco's goods are not as good as in Asda as well.  Anyway ...

The A444 is the main road that runs along side of the Arena Shopping Area.  The name Arena comes for the fairly new Coventry City FC footy stadium that is also on the site.  The whole site was once the Coventry Gas Works.  Now it's all car parks and shopping.  Yes, yes, yes, I'm getting there ... this is not a novel or short story you know ;-)))  If you have been paying attention to the news about the Olympics you will know that the City ground has been chosen to host some of the footy games as part of the whole thing.  So what does Coventry City Council do?  They spend a fortune on upgrading roads all over the city, roads which are part of the entry ways into the city.  One of them is the A444, which you get onto from the M6 Junction 3.  The traffic works normally OK for City games, so why all the fuss now?  I read last week that there will restrictions of some sort when you try to get into the shopping area although I'm not sure what they are likely to be.  It looks likely that trying to get into the city on match days will be nightmare which ever road you use to get there.  But what about all the other roads where pot holes are still waiting to be filled?  And what of all the services that the council is reducing because of a lack of money?  There's no answers to these questions it seems.

The Big huff'n'puff wind generator champion has left the cabinet.  Now it seems that lots of backbench Tory muppets are not happy about all the new wind mills that had been planned.  It seems strange to me that the North Warwickshire muppet person Dan Byles is one of them.  I don't remember saying anything against it before huff'n'puff quit.  Strange that eh?

I've decided I need a new pair of flip-flops; I wonder in the Ed Milliband has a twin brother, they would be ideal.  And seeing as I'm harping on about the Westminster Cronies ... here's where they waste all our hard earned dosh ...

The Sage is off on holiday again on the 11th but he's left me a few to play with.

Paddy had been drinking at his local Dublin pub all day and most of the night celebrating St Patrick's Day. Mick, the bartender says, "You'll not be drinking anymore tonight Paddy.  Paddy replies, "OK Mick, I'll be on my way then."
Paddy spins around on his stool and steps off. He falls flat on his face. "S**t" he says and pulls himself up by the stool and dusts himself off. He takes a step towards the door and falls flat on his face, "S**t, S**t!"  He looks to the doorway and thinks to himself that if he can just get to the door and some fresh air he'll be fine.

He belly crawls to the door and shimmies up to the door frame.  He sticks his head outside and takes a deep breath of fresh air, feels much better and takes a step out onto the sidewalk and falls flat on his face. "Bi, Jaysus... I'm f***n' f***d," he says.

He can see his house just a few doors down, and crawls to the door, hauls himself up the door frame, opens the door and shimmies inside.  He takes a look up the stairs and says "No f***n' way".  He crawls up the stairs to his bedroom door and says "I can make it to  the bed."  He takes a step into the room and falls flat on his face.  He says "F**k it" and falls into bed.

The next morning, his wife, Jess, comes into the room carrying a cup of coffee and says, "Get up Paddy. Did you have a bit to drink last night?".  Paddy says, 
"I did Jess. I was f****n' p*ssed. But how'd you know?"

"Mick phoned... you left your wheelchair at the pub!"

No comments:

Post a Comment