Monday 26 September 2016

A few bits ...


26 September

It you were to look along and shelf full of books, you will find that there are many different book formats and sizes. Some of the really large books are on their edges on the bottom shelf, they are usually wildlife or art books, coffee table books as some call them. The self-published writer has the added problem of deciding which size he wants his book to printed in. After my experience with Amazon’s CreateSpace, I have looked at a number of others and LULU publishing is what I am trying to do now. However, I’ve found that the sizes available are not the same as CreateSpace. Why can’t they all comply to one standard, just as the photography industry has done with ISO? I shall prevail though, I really will!


That’s the print side of things, when it comes to eBook side, it gets just as complicated. On my Samsung tablet I have a Kindle app which I use for books. Again, the set up process is different to CreateSpace. Right now though I’m just trying to get the print version sorted, I’ll start with the eBook later. Oh yes, It’s Shipshape I’m trying to sort out. Let me tell you my friends, I do enjoy the actual writing, but all this faff about after is really bugging the life out of me.


Russia has been roundly condemned at the UN for its actions in Syria. I’ve said before that Putin is a dangerous man, one that needs watching closely. It seems he is looking for a war between Russia and the West with Syria as his excuse. If the conflict spreads and Russia does decide to roll into Western Europe, there is very little in place to stop him. So much for the peace dividend then! All the allied nations have reduced their armed forces because the fall of the USSR removed that threat. And yet, there has been little peace in the world since then has there. Now we have megalomaniac in power in Moscow and there’s little we can do to stop him right now.


Our current prime muppet claims she is hard enough to deal with such people, but is she? Time will tell of course. As you well know, I am not a lover of the tories but I have to be honest and say that she is the strongest of the current batch of party leaders. We have a few years before we go to polling booths again so hopefully someone will come along to challenge her. At the labour party has spoken loudly by re-electing Corbyn again. Now it’ up to the labour muppets to live with and get on a do the job properly by supporting him fully. If they do, they may well get my trust and vote again. As for Corbyn as prime muppet? Oh no, he’s most certainly not on that level of competence. It looks like we are headed for another eight years if tory mismanagement at least. I wish I could bugger off and live on my private little island somewhere … … …


Mr Virgin arrived as promised on Saturday and swapped out our TIVO box. The quality of the picture is really good, a lot better than it was before. It seems that the hard drive had failed, a known fault with the boxes. He was here for about half an hour sorting it out for us. The biggest downside is that we have lost all our recorded programmes, including a number of films that we like and were keeping. At least we can now watch the shows we do record.              


I wonder … have any of you ordered anything from a company called Betterware? Don’t bother if you haven’t. The goods look great in the book, but when they arrive they look cheap and nasty. The current man running things here in Dorktown isn’t doing much of a job either. Jan ordered an item for the car, it doesn’t fit so she wants to send it back and get a refund of the price. Trying to get hold of the man is proving very difficult, so Jan phoned the company directly; even they are having problems with the man. It will be sorted out soon enough, but such shoddy service from the local rep doesn’t do the company any good at all.


Today’s photo …


A greater white fronted goose – I think; someone will hopefully correct me if I’m wrong.


Today’s funny …


Wife: To think that I had to marry you to find out just how stupid you are.
Husband: You should have realised that when I asked you to marry me.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment