Saturday 21 May 2016

On diets mainly


21 May



Devoured by D E Meredith is a book I bought some time ago, but when I began reading it I just couldn’t get on with it at all. Night before last I started it again and last night I got with it again. Now I’m sat wondering why I couldn’t get on with it. Basically, it’s the start of a series of books on the advent of forensic science and its use within the mid-19th century criminal/justice system. Tied in amongst the story line is the crazy for collecting specimens of various exotic animals and fossils that were all the rage of various classes of society at the same time, and how it all links in to prominent MP and knight of the realm.



At least I don’t need to do a review of it yet of course, but yesterday I did get the three reviews done and posted that were part of my to-do list that wrote of yesterday. The reviews I write have to be a minimum of 150 words. Most of mine are 3-400 words. They mainly cover how I personally felt about reading the book, although there is a short outline of the story line as well. In the past I have tried to read book reviews in some of the heavier newspapers and I’m blowed if I can find where they get the words from for such long-winded reviews. And yet reader do enjoy them. Anyway, none for me to do right now and later today I shall be getting on and doing some writing done, as well as making a start on sorting Shipshape.



I am a Type 2 diabetic and yesterday I read something about writing my experience of it. That seems a good idea so I shall be trying to make a start on it at some point, but I’m not sure when. And why not do so? If it can help others who are newly diagnosed, then so much the better. I well remember when it was confirmed that I have it and how much it knocked me about, not the illness, just the thought that my life was over at that point. It isn’t, honestly, it isn’t. With careful management you can go on to do just about anything at all. Some diabetics have run marathons without any problems.



The cause of the illness isn’t properly understood, although it is known that over eating and little exercise is one of the triggers. That is me all over, and I still have to watch what I’m eating these days anyway. But it’s more watching how much I eat than what I eat. Even so, diabetes can hit even the most careful of eaters. A friend of ours has always been very careful of his diet and that of his family. Even so, he has been hit by Type 2 as well. That’s what I mean about the causes not being fully understood.    



There are enough warnings these days about how a bad diet can affect us later in life, and yet every time we go out and about we see obese young people walking around, or trying to walk around town. That is what concerns me. And yet there’s this new idea about body image that says you should be happy with within yourself, no matter how large you are. That one is going to kill a lot of people at some time.



The problem as I see it that of one of not understanding what is meant by it. What I think is that the meaning is that no matter what your looks/size, you shouldn’t be depressed by how you look. What is doesn’t mean is that being fat doesn’t matter, it does. I’ve lost at least 28lbs in the last year, and even I can feel the difference that has made. Losing weight will help those people too. This latest crazy for being proud to be fat, is doing more harm than good.



It reminds me somewhat of my brother Dave. He was a couple of inches taller than me, but lb per inch, he was a lot bigger than me. His main problem was again greed, not need. He listened to what people said, and then took just what he wanted to hear from them. So when a dietician said that the occasional fried food won’t harm you, he clung to ‘fried food won’t harm you,’ and forgot the occasional. And this is where the problem comes, with all of us really, we only really hear what we want to hear, not what is actually said. We feel happier that way don’t we.



And so to today’s photo …

Nuff said methinks.



Today’s funny …



Did you hear about the man who thought Bob Marley and the Wailers were the sailors who caught Moby Dick?    

No comments:

Post a Comment