Wednesday 25 May 2016

Merry Hell Centre


25 May



This will be a short one today. We decided that we are due a run out over to the Merry Hell Shopping Centre, t’ther side of Brum, so we will be off out as soon as we’ve had our morning drinks. But before we go I shall expand on two thoughts that came to me while reading stuff on Facebook yesterday.



The first was around encouraging kids to read and how much they miss out on when they aren’t encouraged. I got to thinking about what my mam and dad read when I was a kid. The    

book genres have been more different; dad only read westerns, and he would get through two a day at one time. Mam would only Jean Pleady romances, not an ideal choice for two young boys. I did try a few westerns but found them to be very much the same as each other, as well as pretty light weight reading. Dave wasn’t much of a reader at all, and never was even as an adult. Hr did loan me Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code, and I’m not sure why he bought it really. Perhaps it was open and clear attack on the Roman Catholic Church, I never asked and he never said.    



The next item was on food, yes I know, me n food again. This one came when it came to what kids eat and why. It took me back to my every night supper of two slice of jam butty and a mug of coco. Nowt wrong with that really, until that is I tried dunking the butty into me coco, and I loved it. For some reason they used to find that highly amusing. I just ignored them and watched telly. Dave wasn’t so amusing though. Vinegar was thing, and always was right up till he died. Mam and dad took to hiding the vinegar bottle so he couldn’t get to it. One day he shook a full vinegar bottle onto a plate of chips when they put it out too early. That was the last of it too and dad wasn’t at happy about it.



Oh the memories …



Today we are off to the Merry Hell, so for today’s photo …

A photo of art work in the Whetherspoons pub over there. It commemorates the iron and steel works that the centre was built on.



Today’s funny …



What did the panda take with him on vacation?
Just the bear necessities.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment