Wednesday 23 January 2013

Up early again, mutterings and cabin fever



23 January 2013
Up early again today because of the work being done.  No-one here yet though.   
That useless scooter is due to go back today too.  It adds to fun in life I suppose.  For the first time ever I'm hoping the BBC has got the weather wrong for Friday.  It's for snow down the length of the west side of the England and Scotland - just when Jan is supposed to be driving home.  I'll be glad when she gets here and just for her herself getting her safely; cabin fever is setting in again.  It always does when I have to stay in because of work being done or waiting for someone to call.  

The application for Weddington Fields to designated a village green has been turned down by an inspector.  To be honest; I'm not surprised really.  All though the fields are around the parish church they are not in the middle of the area as with most village greens I know.  However, Warwickshire County Council are not bound to the inspectors recommendation which means there is still hope for the application.  I'm in favour of the application.  The area is rather a nice pleasant spot which in itself is enough to be in favour but only last month there was serious flooding right there with most of the area being under water.  Building 300+ houses there is plain silly to me.

According to today's News the normal Wednesday market has been cancelled because the county council hasn't gritted the roads.  OK, fine ... but the area where the market is held is in the middle of a pedestrian zone.  So how can it get gritted during the day when it is closed off?  Makes no sense to me.   

The workman arrived about 20 minutes ago.  So far he hasn't shut up!  He's made one phone call but the rest of the time he's talking to himself.  Right now he's on about where he is supposed to put something ... OK, but there's a huge great hole where it should go ... ... ... ;-)))

Photo time ... I'm always on the lookout for street art and I came across this one on London's South Bank ...

Funny time ...

Charlie, a new retiree  greeter at B&Q, just couldn't seem to get to work on time. Every day he  was 5, 10 or 15 minutes late.  But he was a good worker, really tidy,  clean shaven, sharp minded and a real credit to the company,  obviously epitomising their 'Older Person Friendly' policies.
One day  the boss called him into the office for a talk.  "Charlie, I have to tell  you, I like your work ethic, you do a great job, but your being late so often is quite bothersome."
"Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."
"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear. It's odd though, your coming in late. I know you're retired from the armed forces. What did they say if you came in late there?"
"They said, 'Good morning,  Admiral. Would you like some coffee now, sir?'."   

No comments:

Post a Comment