Thursday 31 January 2013

Brum was cold, Jessops had its uses and steak for dinner tonight!



31 January 2013

Jessops has closed but it had its uses you know.  Yesterday I went out for the day to Brum on a photo-day.  Normally I would make my way round to Jessops for a look at what they had on display.  Now of course I can't do that and I missed it yesterday.  Which reminds me of another use the store had, well, actually it's the one.  I had a Nikon P4500 that kept failing and we were due to go off on holiday.  I bought an AP and read a short review on a Konica Minolta Z5.  Off I went to Jessops and had a play with one.  Then I ordered one from warehouseexpress.com.  So yes, Jessops did have its uses but very limited uses that ultimately caused it to fail.

Yesterday was a good day photo-wise where I found a number of shots I hadn't done before.  I've not done anything with them yet but will do so later for posting tomorrow.  To be honest it was far too cold to be out really unless you really needed to be out.  No doubt I would have been warmer if I had been walking, but I wasn't, I was using Jan's scooter.  Whatever, I was happy with the day.

More work going on today.  The sparkie was here yesterday but had to come back today to do all the testing.  The pump that has been fitted is not working so it may well have to replace.  It seems that this one isn't the first to fail on installation.  Perhaps it's time to consider a different make of pump!  We have also noticed that once the shower doors are in place they are going to be very close to the lavatory seat.  It might have better if they had swapped the seat and sink to make  more space.  We can ask that the doors are not put up and that's what we will do; after all, it is a wet room so we don't actually need doors.  I'll be pleased when it's all done and finished with; this place is looking and feeling a real mess right now.  We both want to over and done with so we can get everything straightened out! 

Curry Club at Whetherspoons tonight, but we're having steak, egg and really chips here instead.  Really chips?  Yes, you read it correctly; really chips are made by us using real spuds and not the usual frozen chips we normally have on the odd occasion we do have chips.  Having said that, the Iceland southern fired chips we buy are rather nice anyway - but tonight it's really chips!

So HS2 is still going ahead but even more is being planned.  It won't be long before they think up the idea of extending it to Scotland.  But hang on a minute ... if the Scots vote for independence, will they want and will they be willing to pay for it to be expended.  I'm not convinced that it is worthwhile project anyway.  If an hour is saved on a trip from the north to London, what are passengers going to do when they arrive and the find out the meeting or whatever is cancelled?  And is the saving of just one hour really worth the time effort and money to do so?  How many times do hear of people being stressed out because of the pace of their lives?  Saving an hour is only likely to increase that stress. 

In one of the papers yesterday someone claimed that Brunel would have built the line in less than half the time needed for what is claimed for this new line.  Maybe so, but he didn't have to worry about health and safety laws did he?  I wonder just how much extra that lot has added to the final cost?

So Now to find a photo ... OK ...

here's a shot of a tram in Port Soller in Mallorca.  Not really a train but close enough.

And for a funny then ...

Someone keeps spreading topsoil over my neighbour's allotment. It happened twice last week and again last night.
The plot thickens..      

No comments:

Post a Comment