Sunday 22 January 2012

Poetry ...

22 January 2012 

Poetry is something that I just can't my head around, it makes no sense to me at all.  I remember being at a tutorial for my arts foundation course in 1996 when the tutor read out a poem something, about a dark leaf on a wet branch - see how well it actually registered with me? - and he asked me what I thought about it.  I asked where to the rest was.  He said that was it, how does it make you feel.  Shaking my head I relied, "Tell him not to give up the day job!"  Apparently it was written by one of the foremost poets ever.  I just continued shaking my head.

A couple of Christmases ago I bought myself a Sony e-reader, and very good it is too.  Soon after I bought a load of books on CD and DVD from Amazon which can be loaded onto the reader.  Most f what I have on there are sci-fi books.  Right now I'm about half way through Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger.  I have always liked her work but do you think I could spell her name???  So I Goolged it to get it right ... and found out she died last November, sad that.  Anyway, there I am half way through Dragonsinger and I come across a poem and it really gets to me.  Maybe because it's all part of the story that the poem comes in as Menolly writes a song about an incident within the story.  Whatever ... I was more than a bit surprised when I came across this ...

Don't leave me alone!
A cry in the night,
Of anguish heart shrinking,
of soul-killing fright

Live for my living
Or else I must die,
Don't leave me alone
A world heard that cry.

It would take far too long to explain the story behind the writing of those words which are set to music within the story.  Maybe I'm not so totally cut off from poetry after all ;-)))

There was a good reason as to why there was entry here yesterday.  We had a phone call from Kile's mum asking us if we wanted to have him for the weekend.  He's now off to church with Jan leaving me in peace and quiet for a few hours.  So yesterday we went for a short run out in the car just to get him out of the house.  Jan is looking for one of those 4 wheeled shopping trolleys that are strong enough for some to sit on.  We had seen a number of mobility shops here and there so we went off to see if we can find one; we didn't, but we enjoyed the ride around anyway.  Today was supposed to be a birding day for me but I forgot to set the alarm and later fell asleep again sat on the toilet ... oh dear, Jan was not amused ;-)))  But it does mean we can have a birding day together later in the week.  We'll probably got to the new RSPB site up Chester way. 

Today's photo is of a scene on Brum ...

I'm not sure it actually looks like this now seeing as there has been a load of new building going on just there and I haven't been over there for some time now.

Some time ago the Sage sent me this ...

A fleeing Taliban, desperate for water, was plodding through the Afghan desert when he saw something far off in the distance.  Hoping to find water, he hurried toward the oasis, only to find a little old Jewish man at a small stand, selling ties.
 
The Taliban asked, "Do you have water?"
 
The Jewish man replied, "I have no water. Would you like to buy a
tie? They are only $5."
 
The Taliban shouted, "Idiot! I do not need an over-priced tie! I need water! I should kill you, but I must find water first!
 
"OK," said the old Jewish man, "It does not matter that you do not want to buy a tie and that you hate me. I will show you that I am bigger than that. If you continue over that hill to the east for about two miles, you will find a lovely restaurant. It has all the ice cold water you need. Shalom."

Cursing, the Taliban staggered away over the hill.  Several hours later he staggered back, almost dead & said:     "Your f***ing brother won't let me in without a tie!"       

No comments:

Post a Comment