Tuesday 18 June 2013

New car insurance, bad proof reading and dangers abound!



18 June 2013

Picking up the new car went through without any hassle, thankfully; so we ended up going over to Brum for a few hours.  With our earlier Doblo we managed to get both our scooters into the boot without problems; not so yesterday.  We did manage it after messing about with it for time.  We then decided that for normal use we would drop the rear seats and put the scooters in length-ways instead of across the boot. 

When I ordered the car Jan was in hospital so she couldn't be put onto the insurance.  That disappointed her a little and she was champing at the bit to get have a drive.  Well, she can now since I've added her to it this morning.

Regular readers will know that normally go through the Dorktown News for items that might be of interest or that I might have something to say about.  This morning's News has a bloomin great error on the front page - how this one got through I don't know!  The story is about a defence firm opening a factory in the town.  The headline for the story reads, "Defence firm has exapnded."  I'm hoping you can see the error - and no, it's not one of my typos!  It's a tad strange that when I write something myself I don't see all my errors, that's my dyslexia kicking in.  So why is it that I can see so many errors from other writers?  Apparently all writers have a tendency to miss their own errors, hence the need for editors and the excellent work done on my books by me old mate Bill Howe.  I can rely on Bill to be 100% honest as he works his way through them for me.  Anyway, back the News ...

The defence firm concerned is Lockheed Martin UK and they are opening a factory at the MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association), out on the A5 east of town.  However, the spelling mistake is not the only one on the front page.  The trailer story on the front page goes on to say that the full story is on page 3 - opps, it's not there, it's on page 5.  It makes me feel a bit better about my errors now ;-)))  The thing is about this story, they are making a big fuss about the Lockheed move, after all, new jobs in the area are always good news.   But such a fuss over just 30 new jobs?  Hardly makes riveting reading does it.

Well, the weather is nice an sunny right now and tomorrow is supposed to be the real start of summer.  That's OK, I got sunburnt in Weymouth a couple of weeks ago.  But as usual the kids are heading for the cool waters of the canal and disused quarries in the area.  There are few such quarries around here and all are dangerous places to go swimming in.  So the News is making its normal point of warning off would be swimmers not to go near them.  It's not just swimmers though who are trespassing at the sites; theft, wildlife watching and rock climbing are also given for being there.  But kids are kids, and no matter what anyone says, they will continue to trespass.  I'm not saying that the warnings shouldn't be given, of course they should but don't be surprised when they are ignored.

I have a photo of one such quarry that could be used for rock climbing.  A few years ago I got interested in geology and began an OU course on it; the result was a number of photos taken before the course started ... 

as you can see, it's a good rock climbing site.

Enough loo jokes for now - back to my normal web source ...

Spent £40 on eBay last week for a p*n*s enlarger. Just opened it and some sod's sent me a magnifying glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment