Thursday 18 October 2012

Tramadol, planning, and a view from a pub



18 October 2012

It's happened yet again!  Jan has picked up our monthly prescripts only to find that my Tramadol hasn't been issued.  I knew it needed to be re-prescribed and I saw a GP to get it done.  Thing is, he agreed to do so but didn't actually do it, I mean didn't make the right computer notes to sort it out.  Now I have to make yet another appointment to get them issued.  It's happening far too often and after being a patient there for over 40 years I am seriously considering trying to find a new practice. 

Planning issues are on the front page of the News today.  There is a working group looking into what is called the Dorktown Plan.  It is looking at the housing, leisure and business needs of the town for the next generation.  The problem that's coming up now is that the working group is meeting behind closed doors and there are councillors who are objecting to that.  They want full and public access to the groups meetings - which seems fine to me.  However, the council leader is refusing to allow this by saying that public access is not only allowed, but encouraged for all decision making committees and council meeting.  The problem as it now stands seems to me that neither side is willing to budge or even to try to see the point of the other side.  This one will run on for some time I think.

Not far outside of town is a conference centre.  The owner of the centre has developed a beach area around a large lake within the grounds.  But he didn't get planning permission to do so.  He has been told to remove it by North Warwickshire Council.  He appealed and an inspector has agreed with the council and he has to remove the beach.  There's no telling with planning issues is there?  The beach has proved popular to the locals; the owner didn't fill in the forms; now the owner is going to be out of pocket because some busy body has complained about it.  I get the impression that planning departments are more  than allow willing to see land and buildings go to waste rather than to allow the developments.  But on the other hand, if they allowed this one then it might set a precedent that travellers could use when they develop land they own.  It seems they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
For example, Dorktown council have given the green light to an organisation who want to build 200 homes and a marina with spaces for us to 150 narrow boats.  The village being developed is closed our favourite pub, The Greyhound.  The residents of the village of Hawkesbury have '... grave concerns'.  They fear that young children will not have any nearby schools and poorly people will not be able to find health care.  Traffic will be a major problem it is thought and I have to agree with that.  There's a very narrow bridge over the Coventry canal at one point where traffic is currently controlled by traffic lights.  I'm not so sure that the bridge is strong enough to take an increase in traffic.  There is also a level crossing which could well be a major congestion point. 

See what I mean here?  One set of planners agrees to a development even in the face of local opposition while another does the opposite even when face with local support for the development.  Of course, there is the issue of asking before building I suppose, but it all makes a nonsense of planning laws.  Maybe the new slimmed down planning laws being issued by the government will help - but I won't hold breath!

I've not been to the in-land beach but here is one small area of where the Hawkesbury development will impact ... 

It was taken from outside the Greyhound pub.       

And the Sage speaks ...

Two women were sitting in the doctor's waiting room comparing notes on their
various disorders.  "I want a baby more than anything in the world," said the first, "But I guess it is impossible."
"I used to feel just the same way," said the second. "But then everything changed. That's why I'm here. I'm going to have a baby in three months."
"You must tell me what you did."
"I went to a faith healer."
"But I've tried that. My husband and I went to one for nearly a year and it didn't help a bit."
The other woman smiled and whispered, "Try going alone, next time, dearie."

No comments:

Post a Comment