Sunday 28 October 2012

Nearly Crimble, bottle of bubbly and jury service



28 October 2012

Well, did you all remember to put your clocks back one hour last night?  What a silly game it is!  I really do wish we could leave them all alone.  We have a friend from Germany here in Dorktown and he just can't his head around it at all.  I bet there are some British people who struggle with it too.

I was lying in bed thinking about how old I will be if I live to see our 60th wedding anniversary.  It then dawned on me that in 2005 we had been planning to have a bit of a do for our 25th.  I can't remember why it didn't happen now but it could well be why brother Dave bought a large bottle of Champaign.  We still have it waiting to be used but I now have no idea when we will use it.  Perhaps in January 2030 eh ;-)))

That leads me on to thinking about something else now.  Will I still be writing this blog then?  Or will blogging be superseded by something else?  I keep a draft copy of these mumblings on a Word doc; and currently the word count is at 242k words spread over 588 pages.  But who knows, maybe Word docs will have been superseded by 2030 as well.  And what will a computer look like?  Something the Starship Enterprise perhaps?  It's all very exciting to think about isn't it?  I think so anyway.

I like to watch the Crime and Investigation channel on telly.  A lot of the crimes it puts on are from the USA, it's an American based channel so that can be understood.  But it does show up some major differences in the legal systems of the USA and the UK.  The first one is that both defence and prosecution can give out pretty comprehensive statements in regards their case.  Not allowed here in the UK.  But the one that did surprise me when I first saw it was that jury members were being interviewed after the trials.  Here in the UK, jury members are not allowed to speak of anything that is spoken about in the jury room.  I sat on two juries in the 1980s and even now I'm not allowed to speak of them. 

So then, a photo is called for ... I love street photography and getting shots of fellow snappers is great fun - at least for me that is.  This one ... 

is the guy who works for the local paper.  I've seen him about a good bit working away happily.  Now he's been flickred too ;-)))

So a funny ...

An elderly couple was sitting together, watching their favourite Saturday night TV program.
During one of those commercial breaks, the husband asked his wife: "Whatever happened to our sexual relations?"
After a long thoughtful silence, the wife, during the next commercial break, replied:  "You know, I don't really know--  I don't even think we got a Christmas card from them this year."   

No comments:

Post a Comment