Saturday 14 January 2017

BREXIT delays, unreliable weather but loads-a-reading matter

14 January

Yet again a minority group may delay the triggering of Article 50. First, we had that silly woman going to court over it, now we have the prats in Stormont causing waves over long held hatred of each other, and of Britain as a whole. When will Scotland try it on again as their first minister is threatening. Not sure about Wales though. I said at the time that it should have been triggered as soon as the result was known. Another item on MSN newsfeed is that Farter Trump wants Europe to pull apart; I’m almost temped to change sides and become a remainer over that one just to spoil his fun – almost, but not quite.

It seems that the weather fears over the weekend were unfounded. That’s the problem with weather forecasting I suppose; damned if they do, damned if they don’t get it right. And yes, I’m well aware of my dislike of their less than accurate predictions. I was hoping we could get into town today but it was raining when I got up, so that one is out now; pity really, I was looking forward to an all-day breakfast in Whetherspoons too. Something to look forward to for next Saturday. Even so, our weather is not as extremes as other parts of the world, for which I am grateful.

Last night I finished Robert Southworth’s third Spartacus novel, The Pharaoh’s Blade. It’s an excellent series of three novels that ultimately leads to the downfall of the arch baddie – although I’m saying no more on that one other his greed finally catches up with him. This series I’ve read on my kindle app on my tablet, and after ending that one I began the last novel in a series of four sci-fi, The Synchronicity War. Again, it’s another great series, space opera at its very best. One that one is finished I have others in a similar vein to start, more space operas too. They always seem to be in series, probably because of the size of the story line is just too large to fit into just one volume.

Have you noticed that fantasy novels are in series too? Game of Thrones, in seven volumes, as are the Parry Hotters, Lensmen books. Michael Moorcock and Anne McCaffery seemed to produce stand alone and series of books. Moorcock’s Count Brass and McCaffery’s Dragonriders are both worth looking out for. Moving away for sci-fi, crime writers also produce series don’t they. Rebus, Roy Grace, Peter Diamond, Tony Hill, Alan Banks … … … and oh so many more, all series but each novel a stand-alone story. I’ll sneak in another one here, Ron G Clark’s Fred Cooper series, House of Pain and Web of Hate. His third in the series is stuck at the moment and needs an extensive re-write. OK, the last two are my own novels, but just a mention them in passing.

On Facebook yesterday there was a post from one group I follow, ForReadingAddicts, which I heartily recommend my friends by the way, in which one of the admin team said her TBR (to be read), pile is at around 35 books. That got me think and I went off to the bedroom to snap my TBR pile, or at least part of it, and that is today’s photo …


When I said ‘part of it,’ I really do mean just a tiny part of it, only 40 in that pile. We were out the day shopping and in the Coop they have a charity book stall now, so I added two more which are not in that pile. In addition I have well over a hundred on my kindle app too, plus even more books on my book shelves. Sitting here I can see a Lynda la Plante waiting to be read.

Today’s funny …

An elderly gentleman had serious hearing problems for a number of years. He went to the doctor and the doctor was able to have him fitted for a set of hearing aids that allowed him to hear perfectly.
He went back in a month to the doctor and the doctor said, "Your hearing’s perfect. Your family must be pleased you can hear again."
To which he said, "Oh, I haven't told my family yet. I just sit around and listen to the conversations. I've already changed my will 3 times!"
          

No comments:

Post a Comment